VI

Benjamin pulled his white coat tighter around his body as he sat outside on the cold August afternoon. Benjamin and Kasper had been talking for quite a while, sipping their Cocio.

"Oh yeah? How about your birthday? When's that?" The redhead asked him.

"November 11th, 1945." Benjamin was only twenty-seven, but he had grown up to be a very smart and respected doctor.

"Ah! Really? I was also born in November." Kasper said with a deep smile on his face as he took a bite of his wienerbrød.

Benjamin was delighted to learn about Kasper. They were only three years apart (Kasper was older), and they had a real rapport. Kasper had started talking about what he liked to do, which wasn't a problem for Benjamin. He loved listening to Kasper's husky voice.

Kasper talked about pottery and his love for it and was soon immersed in it. He had started to try his hand at pottery at the age of nine and soon fell in love with it.

By the time they finished their conversation, they realized it was far too late. They quickly left the Denmark Café and drove back to their workplace to attend to their respective patients.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

To make up for lost time, Benjamin made Xylo Ukrainian red borscht soup (his favorite). He hoped he hadn't noticed Benjamin's tardiness.

A pair of big familiar emerald eyes flashed in his direction as the door opened.

"Benny?" Xylo exclaimed. He seemed oblivious to time. "Borscht! Thanks." The boy chirped at Benjamin's remembrance of his favorite food.

"My pleasure, Xylo. I hope it's good."

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

"Benny? Where are we goin'?" For the third time since Benjamin had met him, Xylo was brought to the bathhouse. Although it was arguably the worst time for both. Benjamin couldn't deny Xylo's increasingly strong odor. After the third time, Benjamin learned not to tell his patients where they were going. Xylo often dragged his feet as if that would shorten the trip.

Like a cat, Xylo thrashed and cried as he was placed in the hot water. He did not like being bathed at all. And yet there they were, just outside the tub.

"No." Xylo turned swiftly when he saw Benjamin's plan.

"Xylo, come here." Benjamin snatched the boy and led him to the bathtub, locking the door before he could evade the fates that awaited him.

"Benny!" As Benjamin ran the water, his pleas were drowned out.

Xylo recoiled at the doctor's approach.

"Okay, what if I take a bath and you go?" He began to negotiate.

"Sorry, but I've got to watch you."

"But..." Xylo pouted as he was dragged towards the tub.

The straitjacket was tossed to the ground, and Xylo was glad to have his arms back, if only momentarily. The patient, despite the temptation to fight his doctor and run away, followed his lead to the water.

"How about I just put on some perfume?"

"Get in." Xylo huffed at Benjamin before he stepped inside. The warm water surrounded him and Benjamin reached for the soap.

Benjamin splashed water on his encrusted black curls. Xylo hissed in response. Then his head was doused with liquid shampoo.

The bath hadn't been long, but Xylo's complaints made it seem a thousand times longer. After washing the soap off his entire body, Benjamin drained the water.

"Look at that, you did so well." Benjamin taunted him as he grabbed a towel.

"Shut up! I'll never do that again."

"You said that last time, now get up." Water pooled on the floor as Xylo stood up and quickly wrapped himself in the towel.

Xylo's softly freckled face was tinged with a subtle blush as Benjamin turned to fetch a new set of clothes.

"Benny?" He whined. Benjamin turned around once he had his clothing.

"Yes?" His blue eyes shone over Xylo as he pouted.

"Can we cook together?" Benjamin was surprised by his patient's question.

"Perhaps I'll ask my boss." Xylo's wide green eyes brightened with a smile.

"I like you being my doctor!" He chirped as they passed through the corridors. Back to room 379.

"And I like being your doctor."

"Really?"