XVII

Benjamin awoke to the very sweet and alluring smell of chocolate. Xylo had made what appeared to be the most delicious mouth-watering chocolate custard.

Despite the embarrassment of the night before, he walked over to Xylo and hugged him from behind. Xylo was about to serve the sweet dessert when he jumped, shocked by Benjamin's sudden appearance. But he was soon basking in the doctor's warm embrace.

"Morning, Benny." Benjamin was delighted that Xylo had not only remembered his favourite dessert, but served it for breakfast. Benjamin's joy became even more contagious as he found himself hugging Xylo even tighter around the waist.

Xylo spun around with a laugh. A minute passed before they parted. The warm smile across Benjamin's face filled Xylo with an inexplicable feeling of fuzziness. He was so happy, Xylo's emotions were all over the place; it had been a long time since he'd had a hug.

"You hungry?" Xylo grabbed the two bowls of custard and they walked to the balcony outside the hotel. The sun shone and the view was beautiful.

"Thanks for doing this." Benjamin gushed.

"Course, Benny!" Benjamin took a bite of the dessert, it was as good as it looked. The doctor looked at Xylo and asked him where he got the money for such a nice place. Xylo looked around nervously, at a loss for words.

"Xylo?" He became suspicious, looking at the nervous boy.

"Uhh, well... I might have given them a bit of a scare." Benjamin looked at the boy, horrified. Because of Xylo's threats, they got a room for free. That meant the police could be here at any moment. Benjamin might still have a chance of rescue.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

Another day went by quickly and they prepared to go to bed. The previous night had brought them closer together than ever before, and Xylo truly believed that he had found his soulmate. But there was one thing he had to do before their departure from the town. So, as soon as Benjamin had fallen asleep, he quietly slipped out of bed.

He had seen the power plant on his way to the hotel and now it was his destination. He closed the door behind him and snuck from the hotel. He had a bag full of bombs, ready to go. Ready to ensure those German bastards got what they deserved.

It was frigid outside when he came out, but luckily he wasn't too cold, having already donned his hooded coveralls, gloves, and goggles. Sure, it looked funny, but he hoped it would protect him from the fallout.

He began to walk the long way until he could see the buildings in the distance. It was quite large, but that only made him more excited. It was swarming with security guards as far as he could see, but that didn't frighten him a bit.

He could blow up the reactor structure itself, or try to melt down the nuclear fuel that was still in the reactor. He didn't know exactly what the consequences would be, or whether he could do it. Taking out Axey, Xylo silently approached a guard.

There was a soft thud. And then rustling. In the hope that no one would notice, Xylo stripped the woman and hid her in the bushes. He picked up her security gear and made his way to the entrance, hoping the other guards would think he was working there. Although he left his hooded coveralls behind, he would be returning to it in a moment's time.

His heart quickened as he approached, and soon he encountered two more guards.

"Evening." He nodded, his head on a swivel. Nodding back, one opened a door leading to who knew where. The other guard didn't even spare him a glance, this should be easy.

He looked around the vast building, where to start? There were people everywhere and he entered a room. It was empty, nothing but storage space in front of him. He took the opportunity to change back into the clothes that would give him more protection and cover. He saw a number of other workers in similar outfits and followed their lead.