III

"How are you doing, Xylo?" After closing the door behind him, Benjamin scanned the room for the other man. Sitting on his bed, Xylo stared at the ceiling. It appeared that he was sedated earlier as he didn't even care to look at the doctor.

He made a tiny whimper as Benjamin sat down on the mattress.

"Would you like your lunch?" To his surprise, Xylo's answer was almost immediate.

"Так, я такий голодний!"

"I'm... sorry?"

"Їжа!"

"I don't know Ukrainian."

"Oh, whatever."

Xylo pursed his lips and looked down at the rye bread with chicken salad.

"Here, open!" Xylo's mouth opened widely as Benjamin fed him the bread. There was silence in the room until the plate was completely empty.

"So, tell me about yourself, Xylo." Benjamin's friendly approach was shot down by the man's scowl.

"Why? I bet you have everything written down on a piece of paper or something. Just go read that." He had indeed learned a lot about Xylo just from the file, but that didn't deter the doctor from continuing his efforts.

"What are you interested in doing?" Benjamin spoke softly while he continued attempting to encourage his patient to communicate further.

"Are you an idiot? I can't do a damn thing! Especially with this dumb straitjacket on." Benjamin did his best to soothe Xylo as he started to act hostile again.

Knowing the risk of further injury, Benjamin laid his hand on the boy's head. He stroked his fluffy ebony curls, hoping to calm him. Confused but satisfied with his actions, Xylo closed his eyes. His temper was gone, and Benjamin felt compelled to talk.

"I personally enjoy reading, it's kind of therapeutic." He took his hand away as he spoke. "How about you, Xylo?" In deep thought, the patient pursed his lips.

"I like to cook!"

The file had mentioned the man's love of food, but Benjamin was still glad to have him communicate.

"What do you like to cook?" Xylo's face lit up at the doctor's question and he began to list all his favorite foods.

Borscht, Poffertjes, Spandauer, and Stamppot. Benjamin made note of everything he liked about cooking.

"Yechezkel?" The doctor snapped his head toward the door as it swung open. A redhead announced that Gustav wanted a word with him.

"Goodbye, Xylo." The boy stared at Benjamin as he stood up. He noticed and asked if he was okay.

"You don't care, I knew you'd leave." He muttered under his breath.

The redhead left and Benjamin tried to reconcile.

"I'll be back for supper!"

"SHUT UP! You don't really mean that!"

"Yes, I do...promise."

"...Promise?" Benjamin was glad to see Xylo calming. He must not have been expecting Benjamin's promise, but when he did, the bright smile was back on Xylo's face.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

"You wanted me, sir?"

"Yes, please have a seat." Gustav cleared his throat and clasped his fingers before beginning to speak.

The boss explained to Benjamin that he would need an assistant to show him around the facility. Although Benjamin disliked working with others and preferred to be independent, he wanted to make a good impression.

After Benjamin agreed to join an associate, Gustav ushered him into the staff lounge. Upon opening the door, Benjamin saw several people sitting and eating, including the redhead from earlier. The boss walked over to the man in question and Benjamin followed.

"Dr. Isak! How are you?" Gustav asked the man with the red hair.

"Hello, sir. I'm fine, thank you." His voice was deep and raspy. Kasper Isak was then Benjamin's assistant, and although he was reluctant at first, he began to show the other doctor around.

"And here is the bathhouse. Patients must bathe at least every other day." Kasper continued his little tour.

"Yes, I know. I've done this before." Benjamin tried to sound the least condescending, but it was difficult given his years of training. Kasper just gave him a bored look and nodded. They left the bathhouse and walked down the winding corridors.

"So... how long have you been working here?" Benjamin didn't want to start off on the wrong foot with his new colleague. So as soon as they turned the corner, he decided to start a conversation.

"Hmm, about two years now." Kasper opened the door for Benjamin and they entered the cafeteria.

Benjamin Yechezkel decided that they had walked around long enough and it was time to get his patient something to eat. The two men went into the kitchen.

"There's been talk that you were hired for Xylo, is that true?" Kasper kept an eye on the man as he opened the refrigerator.

"Yes, that's right." Benjamin took out a couple of vegetables and put them on the cutting board.

"Wow, really? So you must be real professional, huh?"

"I suppose so."

Benjamin started to cook some fried fish and vegetables for Xylo while he continued to talk to Kasper. The more they chatted, the more comfortable Benjamin became with his new co-worker, who was surprisingly relaxed and friendly.

"I like your hair! It's so white. Did you dye it?" Kasper was in awe of the doctor as he turned on the stove.

"No, I have albinism." Kasper was surprised but just smiled.

"It's pretty cool."

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

"You came back!" Xylo was surprised the doctor kept his word as he walked over with the steaming fish. Benjamin nodded and crouched down in front of his patient.

"Good, I was getting hungry." Xylo's stomach rumbled as he took a look at the food.

It was only the doctor's first day, and yet there were few if any, injuries. As Xylo munched on the fish, Benjamin's mind raced with possibilities. It could have just been a good day for the little Ukrainian, or it could have been that he was so hungry that he had decided to play nice. Only time will tell.