-Training-

(Fun fact: I need to turn into a fashion icon because this OC will not let herself be dressed in something she thinks of as ugly. I am also watching Netflix's 'Next in Fashion' coincidentally, so who knows, they might make a dress I can reuse. XD but Bera doesn't make it easy, but that show made me realize she got lucky to have even worked something out to wear lol... Fun fact number two: I forgot the language, but Bera means bear in another language. That's why the cover image has a bear, and she also has that name because of her personality.)

"Well, that was scary." Bera mockingly scoffed.

James just... A confused look plastered on his face.

"She just told us to train, but 23 of us would die anyway."

"And we knew that for years, each Hunger Games, each quarter quells; honestly, why the hell would it even feel like a surprise?" 

Both were sitting together and watching another girl complete a test on plants on the big screen hung in the corner of the room.

"I... Guess you are correct." James looked to the left. "And thanks."

"What for?"

"You really know your way with a needle and scissors."

"I just didn't want to look stupid on TV."

"Still." Looking at their odds, it was clear that it worked; his odds were higher than any District 8's previously shared with the district... But Bera was low even with her outfit; they didn't seem to be pardoning her punch.

However, she didn't seem to care like he did.

"Look, go make friends with others, will you." She waved him off, but she was the one to stand. "If you want to play this as allies, you better not drag me down." And she walked off.

------------------------------------

"You are not doing it correctly."

Bera looked up to the girl previously on the plant-screen minigame.

"How'd you know that?" She pointed a stick at her. "I make fires before, I don't believe you have."

"Yes but it is logical, there is math and formulas behind the good amount of ratio of each, there is not enough air going there, the ember will die out, you should cut out a notch from the wood

"Yes but it is logical, there is math and formulas behind the good amount of ratio of each, there is not enough air going there, the ember will die out, you should cut out a notch from the wood."

"Yeah yeah shut it four eyes or do you wanna fight?" Her bite made nervousness blossom on the other girl's face.

Bera glared with a scoff, district 3 she thinks, all logical and technological district, making everything out to be rules of math in the world, even fire, the only higher district not a career but usually used by them by threatening to kill them. Bera had been shown reruns of the Hunger Games like any other kids in school, having seen one 3 won by electrocuting others.

"Will you leave?!" She barked, sure, she feels up to playing allies with James but she doesn't wanna play with that.

She watched the now nervous girl walk away.

She shook her head, going back to trying to make a fire before stopping.

With a sigh she stood, walking away.

"What are you doing her 8?"

Bera gave a blank look while she grabbed the knife off the weapon rack.

"I came to flirt obviously." She stuck out her tongue, district 1, always such sweethearts...

"Kiss my ass." The annoyed girl answered.

"First take me out to eat."

The careers were not known for their cool headed attitude, but neither was Bera, so the strong shove from behind was reciprocated with half turn back and kick.

It took the other girl by surprise, doubling over clutching her stomach.

"I may be of 8." Bera leaned down, whispering so only she could hear despite the others watching now. "But don't get in my way."

She backed up, hands lifted in surrender to stop the staff from approaching even more and walked away, knowing the rules.

She made her way back to her block of wood and sat down, carving out a notch into it before dropping her knife as she looked at her handy work with a half sneer almost.

Yet another of the many sighs of today as she grabbed the other wooden piece.

This time the fire lighting much faster then she ever had done it.

"I'll be damned." She said, quite unhappy as she watched the small fire grow.

Bera is far from stupid.

She is far from a normal district 8 kid.

She has a chance of winning.

She knows that chance will be higher with allies.

But she also knows she'll need to kill those allies if other don't kill them first.

She scratched her forehead between her brows, just what should she do?

Death might not be for today but the games have long started and she feels like they have all been playing chess but that her queen piece was never on the board to begin with.

She watched the little flame be put out by a staff.

Heck she has the feeling she only has pawns and the wild cards that are the horse pieces, whatever their actual name might me. A piece that's hard to predict and has a lot of moves.

She'll just need to fully invest in them.

Let the others try to guess what her next moves are and when they do, it is too late.

"Checkmate." She muttered.