-After-

"Does 2 hate me that much?" Bera asked, watching the cars below. "That they fight to survive to stop all of 8?"

She knew it was cliche, having read books of young girls running off and hiding on roofs and having their dramatic moment. She always found them unrealistic, and yet she had come here, the only place she knew to be furthest from the Capitol. Maybe she was still in it but she was high above it.

This seemed like the only logical spot to be, away from the noise, away from people, away from lies.

She had been here long enough to know this was a frequented place, having seen staff, other victors, even Capitol citizen, come and go off the roof but only one would dare to bother her.

"I don't think so." Enobaria said, literally sent by Haymitch with some 'You know Bera, talk to her' orders that got him a slap from her before she came up to check on her.

"Maybe it is because my grandfather is a peacekeeper? My bloodline reaches up too 2. Maybe it is because my mother was a previous tribute?... In a few months I will be older then she ever was, who lives older then their parents? Is it because I was trained?"

Enobaria had nothing to say, not really knowing what answer she could have given. But hearing all this explained her prowess with a weapon and how she could fight so well, someone that was born and raised in 2, her grandfather, must have taught her.

"How's your victor?" She ended up asking instead of ever answering the random questions.

Bera shook her head.

"That arrow did more damage then we ever thought. I had to run to the infirmary with her in my arms as she was coughing up globs of blood between sobs to not choke on them. Something about ripping her stitches with so much coughing and coughing because of the stitches." Bera rubbed her eyes, leaning on the railings that creaked loudly, if they wanna break let them break, she doesn't care. "Was it all a mistake? She is suffering more in surviving then not." She pinched her nose.

"A victor's life is not always a blessing."

"You tell me. I might do my best to like this life, live like it is was my dream... But I don't think I'd wish it on the younger self. I never wanted to survive because I wanted to, I did because I was taught too."

"At least she isn't alone."

"We are four victors. Woof the drunk that seems to be losing his mind to some old age degeneration. Cecelia the broken woman that is awake more then she sleeps, believing all of this is a lie and one day she'll wake in the arena again. And Bera, the ever hated loner of a victor, someone her district wished would have died in the arena as she was never liked... We are not the best trio to take care of a child that has lost so much and is dealing with such pain."

"So you trained and saved her for your own ego?"

Bera looked at Enobaria momentarily before looking away.

"Ego. Not Ego. I just knew I need to get her home no matter what it took. I robbed her parents of their son, I couldn't take their daughter too."

"Then it is a win. Her family will be elevated from poverty and they'll be together."

"I hate when you are correct... I hate when you're nice."

"I can be if I want too... We are trained from birth and volunteer sure, but we go through the games too. 2 is not nice, I will not tell you our stories, but it is a bloody district. I don't even think I had my parents when I won."

"Yeah, I didn't have much either and what I did, I didn't want it."

"And so be sure you are there for her, so that she doesn't feel like most victors do."

"We are a bunch of messed up people huh?"

"I wouldn't have said it better."

"You couldn't have."

"Fuck you Bera."