chapter thirty

030the name of the gameseason two, episode twenty two !

030
the name of the game
season two, episode twenty two !

Marnie wouldn't describe herself as rebellious. Quite the opposite, actually. She liked rules. They helped her stay on track and avoid mistakes. She'd followed them her entire life. Correction - almost her entire life.

Due to recent events, Meredith and Izzie had made the decision to become celibate. How long for, they didn't know, but whilst they were sat up in the gallery knitting sweaters, Marnie was in the OR performing heart surgery, the Karev man stood beside her occupying her mind.

And they had no idea.

"Got a lot of metastatic disease here." Dr. Burke observed, looking up to meet his pair of interns, "How do we proceed, Karev?"

"Definitely excise the endobronchial mets for symptomatic palliation." Alex was quick to answer.

The attending's eyes widened ever so slightly, seemingly surprised. "You've being doing your homework."

"Yeah, well, I had some help." The brunette's eyes flickered over to the blonde who was holding the retractor, and despite the mask that was hiding his face, she could tell a smirk was forming upon his lips by the crinkles in the corners of his eyes.

She gave him a soft smile in return, though it was quick to fade when her gaze averted back to the surgery at hand. "It looks like the mets have adhered the chest wall." She pointed out, prompting Burke to let out a sigh.

Alex, however, emitted a scoff. "Dude, she's toast."

Marnie's head shot up his comment, her eyes widening. If they weren't in the middle of a surgery, she swore she would have slapped him on the arm.

"Don't you think that's a little insensitive, Dr. Karev?" His superior sternly asked, but he only shrugged his shoulders.

"She can't hear me."

"You don't know that." Burke disagreed. "Bedside manner is apart of the job, Karev. You ought to be more like Dr. Walker in that department."

The woman in question looked over at him with an annoyingly cute grin on her face, to which he simply rolled his eyes, thankful that the mask on his face was covering his rosy cheeks.

"You were wrong in there, you know." Marnie spoke up, as her and Alex pulled off their gowns and scrub caps following the surgery.