chapter forty eight

048desireseason three, episode twenty one !

048
desire
season three, episode twenty one !

"Marn! I'm heading off soon, so if you want a ride to work, you're gonna have to be quick!" Jacob bellowed as he trudged through his apartment, eventually entering the living room with two mugs of hot coffee in his hands.

The blonde, who was lying slumped on his couch, pulled the duvet down from her face and audibly groaned when the sunlight hit it. "I'm not going." She breathed, her voice still slightly groggy from her slumber.

"What do you mean you're not going?" Her stepbrother breathed out a small sigh, walking into the room and setting her coffee down on the table, knowing she'd drink it when she was ready.

"I mean, I'm not going to work." She said simply, pulling the duvet back over her head.

"Well, unless you wanna pay my gas and electricity bills, you're not staying here." He joked, perching himself down on the armchair beside the couch. He sat silently for a couple of seconds, just looking at her.

She could lie about being ill until she was blue in the face, but he knew exactly why she didn't want to go to work - or rather who she was trying to avoid.

"You'll have to face him eventually, you know."

"Not necessarily." She deadpanned, her voice muffled by the pale blue duvet that was covering her face.

"Come on, Marn." Jake spoke, "I know it's hard but you've gotta go to work. You've got your intern exams in a couple of weeks."

"I'm smart. I'll pass."

The Wright man let out a groan and leaned forward, swiftly pulling the duvet down from her face. "Marnie. You can't hide here forever."

The woman in question let out a quiet sigh, her breath hitching in her throat as she looked him in the eyes, "I can't face it. I can't face him."

"What actually happened between you two?" He asked, both his expression and his tone oozing with sympathy, "Why did you break up with him?"

Marnie gently shook her head and grabbed her mug from the coffee table. "I didn't break up with him. We're just... on a break. Whilst I try and think things through."

Jake was trying his best to be understanding, he really was, but it just didn't make any sense to him. "And you can't do that with Alex?" He asked, his brows knitting together.