chapter fifty four

054haunt you every dayseason four, episode five !

054
haunt you every day
season four, episode five !

Marnie Walker wasn't particularly fond of Halloween. Not for any specific reason. She wasn't bullied for wearing a fairy costume her mother made for her, and she wasn't chased around by a masked clown as a child, apart from that one year Jake dressed up as Ghostface, but that was a memory she'd much rather forget.

The point was, she didn't have a traumatic experience to back her up, she just simply didn't care for the holiday.

But since moving to Seattle, she'd been forced to adapt and try things she wouldn't have even dreamed of doing a year ago, which was why her and Alex were sitting in the kitchen in their pyjamas at four o'clock in the morning, carving pumpkins whilst Izzie baked treats to leave outside for the kids.

"Are you almost done?" Marnie pondered, the tip of her tongue sticking slightly out the side of her mouth as she tipped the gooey insides of her pumpkin into the trash can, whilst she waited for the brunette to finish his.

"Yep," Alex hummed, his eyes glued to the task in front of him as he applied the finishing touches.

With a warm, toothy smile spread across her face, the blonde gently turned her pumpkin around so that her boyfriend could see it. He had to do a double take at first, his brows knitting as he gawked at the badly carved creation he could only assume was supposed to be a smiley face.

He bit his lip. "What is it?"

"It's you!"

"Oh," His eyes widened, "It's, uh... it's great, babe."

"You think so?" Marnie smiled, turning it back around, "I've never made one before."

The Karev man was quick to nod his head, biting back a laugh at the risk of hurting his girlfriend's feelings, "Oh, yeah."

"The likeness is uncanny." Izzie chimed in from the kitchen island, earning a mere glare from Alex in response.

"Hey," A rather sleepy Meredith greeted as she trudged into the room, carrying her mother's urn with her, "What are you guys doing up?"

"Couldn't sleep."

The dirty blonde walked straight over to the cupboard and grabbed a ziplock bag out, tipping the urn upside down to pour what the Walker woman could only presume were Ellis Grey's ashes into it.

Despite the fact that she was running on about four hours sleep, and was only somewhat awake, Marnie knew for a fact that she wasn't imagining it. "Mer?" She murmured, watching her attentively, "Is that—"