Lost Cause.

Chapter 7

"Lost Cause"

Y/N lined and filled her lips with red lipstick. She stood in front of her mirror as she added the final touches to her look. When she was finally done she walked out of her apartment, purse in hand, into her car.

It was disturbingly quiet as she drove through the woods. Her mind flashed back to the man who held her up to her car and tried to choke her. Of course the police hadn't found him. She anxiously glanced around the woods as she drove by, making sure he wouldn't be able to jump out at her car.

Eventually the quiet was filled by rushing cars, and the busy city. She was finally able to calm down a little, as the woods started fading into the distance behind her. Soon Y/N pulled into the parking lot of a fancy restaurant.

She hopped out of her car and brushed out any wrinkles left behind. Now her anxiousness was excitement. She quickly made her way into the restaurant.

Immediately she was seated at a reserved table. Austin sat on the other side of the table. He seemed to have a new found confidence. He smirked and waved at her. Y/N smiled back at him and waved, a little put off by his difference in personality.

"I don't normally take my dates to such nice restaurants." He finally spoke up. "You don't?" She chuckled and looked around the restaurant. All he did was shake his head. "None of them were as beautiful as you." Her eyes landed on him as he stared at her.

"Oh-" Before she could say anything else Austin's eye flicked to something else and his face grew twisted with anger. Y/N turned around to look at what was making him so angry and immediately her eyes met with Toby. He was wearing a nice suit which made him almost unrecognizable. He was staring right at her.

She quickly turned around a little embarrassed, but Austin still looked angry. "He has no right to look at you like that–can't he see you're on a date with me!" His voice rose a little in volume earning us some weird looks from the other tables. "How was he looking at me?" Austin's eyes flicked back to Y/N. "Like- like he knew you, like he wanted to be around you. Do you know him?" His words came out quick and sharp, like he was accusing her of something. Her eyes flickered to Toby as he walked by, then back to Austin who was staring intently at her. "No! Of course not." She stumbled over her words, but he still took her response and smiled.

The date continued on very awkwardly. As soon as they got their food Austin started talking about his five year plan to become the father of three children. Y/N couldn't wait to get home and never see this man again, she couldn't even describe how uncomfortable she was.

Soon the date was over. Austin tried grabbing Y/N's hand but she pulled it and laughed it off. Eventually they made it outside of the building. "I'll walk you to your car, which one is it?" Y/N looked around for a second then pointed to her car. "That one." Austin nodded, his demeanor seemed a little off.

"So, you do know that guy then." Y/N looked at him in confusion, then she looked back to her car. Toby was leaning on her car, sipping a drink. Before she could say anything Austin started running to Toby. Y/N quickly followed, every step she took made the bag of leftovers hit her leg.

Austin yelled at Toby as Y/N tried to calm them down. Y/N put herself in between the two. "Austin stop!" Austin looked down at her, his eyes were wide and bloodshot. "Was this just so you could get some free food for your lover!" He snatched the bag of food from Y/N's hands.

"He's not my lover! I would never date him!" Austin folded his arms over his chest, like he was revealing the true mean girl.

Austin sighed. "Me or him." Y/N stared at him for a second, then burst out in laughter. "What?" She managed to choke out through her giggles. "Me or him." Y/N walked out from between them, and looked at Toby then Austin.

She groaned. "This is stupid, go home Austin."  Austin's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. His jaw clenched and his fish balled up. "Fine." He placed the bag on the floor, and took out one of the containers full of food. "Have fun knowing you missed out on all of this!" Austin motioned to his body, then threw the container full of red marinara sauce and noodles all over Y/N, and her nice dress.

She gasped and Austin giggled and ran away like a little kid. She turned to Toby who was trying to contain a laugh. "Red really isn't your color." Y/N sneered, and grabbed a glob of sauce and smeared it on his face.

He grabbed her wrist to stop her but it was too late, it already painted half of his face red. The rest of the spaghetti sauce fell from her hands and splattered on the ground. "I guess that's something we have in common."

They stood there for a second before Toby let go of her hand and stepped back. "Do you want a ride home?" Y/N started walking to her car, and Toby nodded.

Neither Y/N or Toby spoke as they drove home. The only thing they could hear was the car going over the noisy road and the radio talking about the Mazzi's murder case. Y/N turned the radio up as they talked about Venna.

A wave of guilt rushed over Y/N as she realized she hadn't visited Venna since she woke up from her overdose. But truth be told, she didn't know if she'd ever be able to visit Venna. Y/N snapped back to reality and started listening to the radio again.

"Venna Mazzi is a prime suspect in the murders of her parents, Eve Mazzi and Pete Mazzi. After her recent waking up the 17 year old refused to speak with police. The police have said that this is not the only reason they suspect Venna, but the evidence is far too sensitive to release to the public."

Y/N sighed. To her it was clear something else was going on. Maybe a vengeful ex-boyfriend? One who enjoyed a smoke every now and then. She brushed it off and turned down the road. Soon the car was engulfed in the dark of the forest. Y/N tried to keep her eyes peeled, she didn't want to find out what else hid in the forest.

She looked over to Toby who was fast asleep on the passenger's seat. Y/N contemplated shoving him awake, but instead smiled and tried not to laugh at the sight.

She continued driving, calmer than she had been driving up to the bigger city. The radio was now playing soothing music. It was enough to make Y/N calm and she soon realized how tired she was.

She used the steering wheel to keep her upright, her eyes fell open then shut and then opened again.

Y/N let out a yelp, and jumped up as a human- or a deer ran past her car. She swerved to not hit the being running full speed through the road. She pulled the steering wheel to not run off the road. Toby jerked up, his eyes widened as he held onto the car for dear life. "What the fuck Y/N!"

Y/N turned to Toby then back to the road. "Someone- or something ran into the road!" Toby cocked an eyebrow. "What was it?" He spoke, annoyance laced his voice. "I'm not sure, a human, I think. It had this creepy little mask on." Toby eyebrows knitted together, his mind ran over who it could be. Eventually he figured it out, he leaned back, he seemed a little anxious or concerned.

"It was probably just an animal." He said, like he was judging Y/N. But it was clear he thought otherwise.

If you enjoyed, please remember to vote, comment, and follow.