Save Your Tears.

Chapter 24

"Save Your Tears."

When I arrived home, from what felt like the 100th time I'd almost been killed, I immediately found a fancy looking bottle of wine my mother had most likely sent me, and a cheap bottle of liquor I bought from my local grocery store. Despite the difference between the disgusting taste of the grocery store liquor, and the elegant taste of the expensive wine, they actually went pretty well together. I can definitely smell an alcoholic in my future.

After a shared combination of half a wine bottle, and a few swigs of trashy alcohol, between me and Toby, we were gone.

I wobbled back and forth as I tried to take some steps towards Toby, who seemed just as drunk as I was. I squinted and tried my hardest to see him through my blurred and watery vision. "You look stupid like that." Toby said, his words slurred, but he was still holding on to himself better than I was. I placed my hands onto his shoulders to keep myself steady, and glared at him. "N-no you look stupid!" My words tripped over each other, and stammered.

Without another word we both burst into laughter. My drunken, sloppy laugh filled the room, as I flopped over onto my couch, soon followed by Toby.

When we stopped laughing I looked over to Toby, my eyes got stuck on him. Finally the atmosphere was calming down. "You know, I'm glad we're finally friends." He looked at me weirdly, then laughed quietly. "Why are you being so sappy?" He laughed again, and I scoffed. "I was being nice." His face softened, and his brown eyes met mine. Maybe he looked sad. I couldn't tell with all the alcohol running through my body. "Yeah, I'm glad we're friends too." His voice was soft and calm.

"This is just what I needed." I laughed, and sprawled my legs out onto my table. "Nothing better than getting wasted before you commit a class A felony, right?" I turned over to Toby, who now was spaced out and staring at my wall. I punched him in the shoulder, his head snapped back to me. "Yeah? What?"

I ignored him and hopped up from the couch. "Let's play a game." I imagined Toby would give me a weird look instead of saying anything, but instead he hopped up, and started talking with more enthusiasm than I had ever heard. "What game? True or dare, spin the bottle-." I opened a cabinet holding some of my favorite treasures. "Nope. Even better- a board game!" I grabbed Sorry and shoved it up towards the sky. I laughed when I saw Toby's face drop. "We're not teenagers anymore- plus how would we play, spin the bottle? We're the only people here."

I looked back at Toby for his response, but all that happened was his face flushing. He turned away, to cover his face. "You're right." He mumbled. "Let's play." When his face cleared, he looked back at me. I nodded and plopped back down onto the couch.

The rules were simple enough. Toby and I grabbed our pieces, mine yellow, and his red. I grabbed my first card, and was immediately able to leave the start. I jumped up in joy and squealed. "In your face!" I screamed. Toby looked at me, clearly unamused. "It can't be that hard." He grabbed a card from the deck. "Ha! I get to move 4!" He retorted back at me. He flipped the card around to show me.

I couldn't help but laugh. "What?" I laughed harder. I took a deep breath, and finally composed myself. "You can't move unless you've gotten out already." He furrowed his brows. He took a deep breath, and placed the card down. "Fine, I guess I'll just have to get in next time."

"Mhm, sure." I grabbed another card and moved 11 spaces. Toby grabbed another card, and dramatically flipped it up. He sighed, and threw the card down. It fluttered down and flipped over, revealing a move 10 spaces card.

For the next thirty minutes Toby and I went back and forth, picking up cards, and Toby not getting a single piece out. I moved my last piece into home. Toby grumbled. "This game is stupid."