Getaway Car.

Chapter 26

"Getaway Car."

Running had never been my strong suit, except for today that was. I had no idea how far I had gone, but I knew I was pretty far away from where I had been before, and slightly closer to Toby. I could see the giant flames Toby had created. The glowing orange radiated off of the trees.

Toby was still nowhere to be seen. But he had to have been close, because I could see smaller fires trying to compete with their older counterparts as they grew from the trees.

That was my first stop. I covered my face with my shirt as I grew closer to the smoke filled area. Every step made me feel like I was getting farther away from Toby. Who knew where he was? But I couldn't give up. I had to be there for him.

It was really hot, too hot. My skin became sticky with sweat, as it ran down my forehead, arms, and neck. I couldn't wait to get out of here, but you needed to keep going.

Every part of your body wanted to either collapse on the floor and breathe in all the smoke, or run away, and get as far away as possible. Maybe move to a different state? But I need Toby for that, I don't care what Natalie said, we can fix this. Make this a happy place, perfect to raise a family.

Every breath I took hurt. The smoke was sickeningly sweet. It made my throat feel raw, and I was trying to protect my face with my shirt. I couldn't imagine what it would be if I didn't have something to cover my face up with.

Finally I stood at the fresh fire. The flames rose up the trees, as they ate away at the bark and leaves. There was no more grass to cushion my feet, as I walked.

Wait? I looked at a silhouette of a man. Could it be? Toby? I took a few cautious steps towards the man. It was! It had to be! My steps turned antsy, and my pace turned into my speed walking.

I held my hand out to Toby, to grab onto his shoulder. There was a giant smile sprawled across my face. "Ah!" I jumped, my mouth opened and inhaled a giant gasp of smoke. I doubled over and coughed it all out. My eyes watered as I coughed.

When I was done I looked up. That wasn't Toby. That was a tree, burned to look like Toby. With a few small coughs I turned away and started looking around, the feeling of despair flooded through me.

How was I supposed to find Toby in the mess? Trick question. I couldn't and I wouldn't, because the only thing I could see was the blaring red flames that were going to surround me.

"Y/N!" Was someone calling my name? I couldn't hear over the fire. "Y/N!" There it was again. I desperately flipped around trying to find the person calling out to me. "Y/N!" They called out a third time, and finally my eyes landed on a real human figure.

"Toby?" I called out. It definitely looked like Toby, but I couldn't see him very well. "Y/N! What are you doing here?" They were getting closer, and closer. Finally I could see the colors of their clothes and hair and everything I needed.

"Toby!" My heart jumped a beat when I saw him, and his brown hair. I took a step towards him, and then another one. Before I knew it I was in a full on sprint towards Toby. Even though my lungs and legs burned I couldn't stop.

Within seconds I was feet away from Toby. My hands reached out to wrap my arms around him. When I reached him, I collapsed in his arms. I held him in a tight hug, with my arms wrapped around his neck. He returned the hug, and placed his hands on my waist.

"Toby..I'm sorry but, I couldn't just leave you. I need us to get out of this together!" My words came out in a fast blur, I looked up to Toby with tears in my eyes. Who knew if it was because of the smoke, or I was just being emotional.