Can't Help Falling in Love.

Chapter 14

"Can't Help Falling in Love"

After 20 minutes of driving through the forest I pulled my car over into a ditch. The forest was dark, and cold. I hopped out of my car with my flashlight. I wrapped my arms around myself to try and stay warm.

I started walking left. I had no idea where I was going or where to start looking. I was now that I started realizing I didn't really know anything about Toby. I looked back and forth before continuing deeper into the forest.

Birds and other animals made strange noises making it impossible to stay calm. My flashlight led a direct path in front of me. I jumped back and screamed as a baby deer galloped in front of me. I stopped for a second, and for the hundredth time reconsidered walking- no running back to my car. I shook my head, and continued deeper in the forest. I had gone too far to give up now.

I wondered how long Toby had lived in the woods for, how paranoid he would have become. I tried to stay calm as I continued my journey through the woods. I could have sworn I could hear branches snapping behind me. Or maybe it was the constant feeling of someone breathing down my neck.

I knew I had a constant target on my back. I had no idea how many people or things roamed the forest. Or how many of them were out to get me. I knew of Tim and the creepy slit mouth guy, Jeff, but there could be so many more of them.

I looked back and forth as I walked, making sure no one could sneak up on me. My face lit up as I came across a giant barn. Light shone through one of the windows, so I knew at least some form of warmth was in there, and in the best case scenario Toby would be in there and we would be able to talk everything over.

I quickly made my way to the barn, and swung the giant doors open. Immediately the warmth of what I assumed came from a fire hit me. A smile crossed over my face. I couldn't wait to warm up my freezing toes and fingers.

I looked ahead of me and saw a couch, with a fire right on the floor. Without another thought I bolted to the fire. I reached my hands out to warm them up. The relief of warmth was a nice distraction from finding Toby.

I watched the smoke fly up to the ceiling and through a hole in the roof. On both sides of the barn there was a loft.

I looked at the many hay barrels and- wait. I made direct eye contact with what seemed to be a mask. I froze in place hoping it would be a manikin. It didn't look like Tims weird mask, all I could make out were two dark eye holes, and one one square mouth hole.

I knew I had messed up, even if the person wasn't moving. Even from 15 feet away I could see them breathing. I didn't know what to do, my first instinct was to run, but I couldn't, it was like my feet were glued to the ground.

Finally I saw it, the person shifted to the side and jumped up to their feet. I took a giant step back. They had no chance of climbing down the latter and catching up to me. I expected to see them sprint to the latter, but instead, with in-human speed they hopped over the railing.

My eyes widened as they landed on the ground with a thud. I could now see the person better. They were scarcely thin, and they had shaggy black hair that reached their shoulders. In their hand was a pocket knife.

I didn't take anymore time to get out of there, and I spun around. I scurried out of the room. Behind me I could hear hard footsteps. I shoved past the door, and out into the cold wilderness.

I looked left and right, trying to determine who would be the best way to turn. I decided to go left, I shifted my body left. I started running, but was immediately tackled to the ground. I landed with a crash. I gasped as all the air left my body.