What Was I Made For?

Chapter 17

"What Was I Made For?"

I woke up to the blaring ringing of my phone. At first I squinted my eyes open and harshly tapped the red button. When I heard it ringing a second time I sat up, and realized I wasn't on the bed I remembered falling asleep on, nor was I snuggled up against Toby like I had thought I was.

I let the phone continue to ring as I tried to remember last night. I groaned when I couldn't figure it out. I slammed my hand down onto my phone and grabbed it, answering the call.

"Hello?" I tried my best to sound awake, but instead sounded like I was a 60 year old smoker. "Hello. Is this Miss. Y/N L/N?" Her voice was young, and familiar. I slowly sat up when I heard my name. "Yes. Who is this?" The woman behind the phone sighed, and I immediately knew something was up. "Y/N, it's me, Mary, your mothers caretaker." Her words took my breath away from me. I stayed silent for a few seconds, before letting out a long breath. "Is mom okay?" I asked, my words came out fast, sounding like one, long word. "Your mother had a stroke." For a second the world stopped. I couldn't move, or breathe. The other end of the line also stayed silent. "Is she okay?" I asked a little more sternly. I heard Marys take a deep breath. "We don't know yet. She-" I cut her off. "I'll be there soon." I hung up the phone and sprung up.

I ran to Toby's room. It strangely looked completely different from yesterday. I ran over to Toby and shook him awake. He groggily, sat up. "What?" He said in a sleepy voice. "I need my keys, where are they?" He looked at me like I was crazy. "You're leaving already? I already did all the work." He said, playfulness hidden throughout his words. "What?" I got thrown off track, as I remembered, at least trying to bring Lacy into the house yesterday.

"You fell asleep on the car ride yesterday. I had to bring both you and Lacy in." A small smile crossed over his face, as I connected the dots. Everything from yesterday was a dream. My eyes widened a little, but I ignored it. It didn't matter right now. "Toby, I need the keys, right now." I said urgently. He groaned and flopped down. "For what?" I narrowed my eyes, anger slowly creeping into me. "My mother is in the hospital. Give me the keys." My words came out fast and sharp. His eyes widened slightly. "They're on the counter. Do you want me to come with you?" I was already storming out of the room. "No!" I screamed, as I sped walked to the kitchen.

When I found the keys I grabbed them, and sprinted out of the house to the car.

The car ride took longer than I had planned. After an hour and a half I finally emerged from the forest, and after another hour's drive I made it to my mother's house.

The house was surrounded by tall trees. It was on the outskirts of a small, happy neighborhood. I climbed out of the car, and slammed the door shut. I looked up at the house I had grown up in. Its color had faded, and was now a pale grayish blue.

I couldn't believe I had let the house's contention get so bad. I couldn't believe I hadn't visited my mom in so long. I cursed at myself for getting so caught up in my new life, I managed to forget about my mother who was slowly wasting away, with no one but her hospice nurse by her side.

I quickly walked into the house, not bothering to knock. "Mom?" I called out. "Mary? Where are you?" I called out once again. I jumped as Mary popped out from behind a corner. "She's in her room." She softly said, her eyes saying an apology so she wouldn't have to. I nodded, and made my way to my mom's room.

I lightly knocked on the door, then slowly creaked it open. "Mom?" The door opened fully, revealing my mother cozied up in her bed. She smiled as she saw me. "My dau-ghter." She stumbled through her speech, and it was enough to bring tears to my eyes. I walked over to her and sat down on a chair next to her. "Mom." I said once again, my voice breaking as I spoke. She kept her smile, and brushed her hand over my face, cupping my cheek.

"I'm so sorry." I said as tears started flowing out of my eyes. "I can't live without you, you have to be okay. Okay?" Her eyes softened, as her boney hands rubbed my cheek. "I'm sorry I didn't visit more." She didn't say anything, she just continued looking at me, with glassy eyes. "Why aren't you talking?" I said as I wiped tears coming from my eyes.

Like clockwork, Mary popped into the doorway. "She's been having a hard time talking ever since- you know, the stroke." She spoke quietly. I nodded, and looked over to my mom, who was busy shoeing Mary out with her hands.

Mary laughed a little and walked away. I wondered how she could be so calm about the whole thing. Deep down all three of us knew my mom wouldn't be here for much longer. I assume it was Mary's job to take care of people who were dying.

My mother grabbed my hand to remove me from my trance. She still had her smile plastered on her face. She is the strongest person I know, I thought, as I squeezed her hand back.

Eventually my mother reached over to her bedside table, where she brought out a small letter. She handed it to me. I looked down at the letter and started opening it, but she stopped me, by waving her hands, and lightly smacking my wrist. When I looked up at her, I knew she was telling me to wait until she passed. I nodded and she looked at me constantly.

Soon my mother fell asleep, I watched as her chest rose and fell, it was a signal to me that she was safe. I wrapped my hand around her boney wrist. She had lost so much weight since I had last seen her. I felt her pulse. Her skin jumped up and down, as her heart beat. I took a deep breath, and fell asleep to the beeping of her heart monitor.

I shot up to the screeching of my mother's heart monitor. My hand was still tightly wound around her wrist. I couldn't feel anything. Not a single jump, or bump on her arm. Panic rushed through me. Her chest wasn't raising, and falling back down anymore. I looked up to her heart monitor. Nothing but a single line.

"Mary!" I shouted and shot up, only to notice my mothers hand gently placed on my own. Tears ran down my face. "Mary! Hurry!" I screamed, over Mary's loud footsteps. Mary rushed into the room, and saw the heart monitor. She gave me a sad look and unplugged the machine. "Death time, 3:36." She called out, as I looked at her in shock. "What are you doing? Help her!" She looked over to me, her eyebrows scrunched low. "There's nothing I can do." She said softly. "Give her CPR or that shock thing!" I screamed through choked sobs. My mothers hand still laid on mine lifelessly.

She shook her head softly. "It was her time." She walked over to me and placed her hand on my shoulder. I sunk back into the chair, as I shook my head. "I didn't get to say goodbye, I didn't get to say I loved her." I wailed, as Mary lightly stroked my shoulder. "It's going to be okay." She continued to talk, but I blocked her out. All I could hear was a loud ringing in my ears, mimicking my mother's heart monitor.

As the ringing got louder I looked up. Mary was still talking, but I was fixated on a man standing on the other side of my mothers body. He was tall, and slender. All I could see was his chest. My eyes followed his body, all the way up to his head.

My eyes widened, and it was like all the air was gone from my body. No face was all I could think. I stared in horror as I looked up at the man, no, more like, thing. It had no eyes, no mouth, and no nose. I stumbled back from my chair, and tightly wrapped my arms around the arm rest.

I stood still and so did the thing. The slenderman. It was like an unspoken challenge, whoever moves first, loses.

Mary shook me back and forth, until my trance was broken and my gaze moved over to her. It didn't take me long to realize that I hadn't been breathing. I gasped for air and stood up, only to end up in a coughing fit.

Mary held onto me tightly. "Y/N, are you alright?" She said a little panicked. Finally I stood up, only to see the being standing in front of me was gone. "I'm gonna get you some water." She patted my shoulder, and started walking away. "No, no." I stopped her. "I have to get out of here." I walked past Mary, and despite her pleas I made it out of the house.

I jumped into my car, and started it. The engine rumbled as I pulled away from the house.

Sooner or later I ended up in a run down gas station parking lot. I parked the car, and slammed my head onto the parking lot. I cried for what felt like forever. My eyes were red and puffy. The skin around them was sensitive to the touch. I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like a completely different person. I scrunched my eyes, until everything became blurry, and I looked a little more like me.

I ended up falling asleep in my car, in the exact same parking lot.

If you enjoyed please, vote, comment, and follow!