F i v e

Chapter Five

Welcome to the WHAT?

(Steven on the side)

I desperately tried to struggle out of his firm grip when Damian decided to go all bestial on me; dragging me back towards the black house, and I sighed heavily when I realized that I couldn't get rid of his hold. He was stronger than he seemed. Yes. Yes.
I should've run away instead of hiding behind a tree, calling my parents, but I had to tell them that they didn't have to worry, and I was sure that they wouldn't find me anyways because, hello? They are dumber than a box full of rocks.

Maybe I jumped the gun.

"Let go of me you jerk", I snapped, but his firm hold on me tightened further. There was going to be another horrible bruise tomorrow. It was not like I didn't have enough already. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could see him grinning his teeth together as he tried to control his anger.
"Why did you do that Haley? Do you really think you could just simply run 18 miles to the next town when it's almost pitch-black outside, huh?", he asked, and I smirked evilly.
18 miles? That would be possible.
"If I would've known that it was only 18 miles then yes. Maybe I would've run those miles to the next town", I muttered under my breath, and his grasp tightened again.
"This was so damn stupid of you, you know that?", he growled.
It was brilliant, you stupid jerk.
"Not as stupid as your face", I countered, and he dragged me along the front yard before I recognized three pairs of eyes staring at me with three different expressions: Andrew was just pissed and annoyed while Steven was somehow relieved that they found me and Jason? Jason looked hurt and offended.
And then to top my failed escape off even further, all my adrenaline slowly vanished and the pain in my ankle burned through my whole body. This was going to take a while to heal. Enough time to think about the next stunt I was sure as hell going to pull off.
"Haley why on earth did you do that?", Jason hissed while Damian dragged me inside; pushing me onto the brown couch. His eyes flickered with deep disappointment, and I tried to suppress a sassy comment. What did he think? That I would stay in this fluffy yellow room pretending to be a seven-year-old and stay put? Seriously?
"Because I don't want to be here?", my answer filled with the duh-tone and four wanna-be gang members stared at me.
"Well, we need to improve our safety system after your little stunt", Damian explained, and I scoffed. Safety system? I don't see any so instead of improving they should focus on installing one first.
"Good luck with that." 

"We should've just killed her", Andrew spoke, and I raised an eyebrow. Staring at him with a smirk on my lips.
"Then do it", I challenged him before he took several steps into my direction, yanking me off of the couch and into his hard chest. He towered over me. His eyes alight with anger.
"Do it", I defied him again before I pushed him off me.
"You can't. None of you has the guts to do something like that. Face it. You guys are ridiculous, and I will be out of here very very soon. This is a promise and if you try to pull anything on me. I will make it my duty to destroy every single one of you. And everyone you love as well", I threatened them, my voice harsh and intimidating while my eyes glued on Damian who had this outrageous smirk on his face.
"Good luck with that", Damian mocked me while Steven stared at me with fear and respect in his eyes. He got the hint.
"Don't test my limits, Damian. You don't have the slightest idea of what I am really capable of", I snapped, before I passed the four of them, walking upstairs into my fancy yellow room.

With bowed head, I heard footsteps trailing behind me and I easily recognized Jason's scent. He smelled like nature. To be more precise, he smelled like the forest: pine trees and fresh air. I have always loved spending time in the forest. The smell was already burned into my memory. Nostalgic.
"Why did you do that?", he repeated his question, and I didn't even think about answering his question before I felt his hands on my left wrist, spinning me around to face him.
"I already told you why", I snapped quietly, and he pushed me into my room before locking the door behind him. Someone finally acted like a bad boy for once.
"Yeah, and I told you that I would've helped you, but why did you just catch me off guard?" His voice deadly quiet.
"Well, I don't trust you."
"Fine. Do whatever you want Haley", he continued. Rolling my eyes, I yanked my left arm into my direction, causing him to stumble against me. His eyes sparkled with confusion.
"Listen, I'm sorry", I mumbled under my breath and watched him raising one of his eyebrows.
"Why don't I believe a word you say?"
"Because you are smart?"
"So, you don't mean it?"
"You are smart, but obviously you can't read facial expressions very well", I replied, and he grinned softly. His soft grab on my wrist caught my eyes and he wasn't keen on letting me go that easily.
"I mean it. I'm sorry Jason, but I don't think that I should be sorry since you and those guys are the reason why I am here, to begin with", I added, and a laugh escaped his lips. It reminded me of a small child's laugh. Not because his voice was like a child rather because it caused a smile on my face even though I tried to suppress it. Every time I heard a kid laugh it caused a smile on my face. I couldn't help it.
"Apology accepted."
"Then there is something you can help me with."
"So, you just apologized because you want something from me, am I right?", he asked with an amused voice, and I rolled my eyes.
"My ankle", I replied, pointing down at my already swollen ankle which looked rather blue than pale like I was used to.
"You're going to kill yourself with your insane stunts Haley", he muttered, and I smiled. I couldn't care less.