N i n e t e e n

Chapter Nineteen

Bipolar.

After dealing with the annoying act of going and buying new clothes which was the dumbest idea Kimberly ever had, we finally reached the driveway of the black-painted house again. Honestly speaking, I could've easily escaped from the mall and still, I couldn't believe that every single one of them agreed to let me go out with Kathleen alone. Well, I didn't even try to escape. Was it because of what Damian said? Did I want to stay because they got attached to me being around? No. That wasn't the reason. The timing wasn't perfect yet. 

Even Damian didn't decline the idea, but it was probably due to the fact that he was still pissed and didn't want to see me.
To be honest, I, somehow, liked Kathleen, and I even enjoyed the little trip, but she was still a girl and when it came to fashion, she became completely insane. After twenty opportunities for me to escape, I gave up counting and decided that I wouldn't put her in danger in case they were about to cut her into thousand pieces when she came back all by herself.

It was the seventeenth of April which meant that I've already been in their captivity for eighty-seven days. I still hated it, but a lot of things have changed recently. Very slowly, I felt my walls crumbling even though I fought against it with every single vein inside my body. They all changed, and I had the uneasy, stinging feeling that they thought I became a part of their family now. No way! I wasn't, but I also couldn't leave them so easily without a fight. Without putting on a show.

When Kathleen and I entered the house, silence welcomed us which was strange. More than strange. Where was everybody? The strong scent of alcohol hit me, and I wrinkled my nose in disgust. Whoever decided to drink himself into a stupor knew the right liquor to do so. Usually, none of them drank hard liquid. Weird.
"Steven just texted me that they went out before Damian decided to go all bestial again", Kathleen's voice broke the ruling silence and my head shot to her direction.
"What do you mean he went bestial again?"
"He has fucked up anger issues Haley. Since he stopped seeing his doctor it became worse. Whenever something or someone brings him over the edge, he gets drunk until he isn't himself anymore. It's like he is back to who he was nearly four years ago. He is messed up, deeply messed up Haley. I've never seen him being so broken", her voice quiet, and I stared at her. The blood drained from my face.
"How often did this happen since I'm here?" Her eyes squinted together, and she shook her head, refusing to answer my question.
"How often Kathleen?", my voice louder than I expected, and her eyes widened immediately.
"I already said too much, Haley. I am sorry", she mumbled before I clutched her hand tightly, tugging her closer.
"Just answer the question", I hissed, and I couldn't understand my sudden anger traveling through my body.
"Like five times. I don't know. I-I didn't count them. He didn't have any of those breakdowns before you came here for a long time. He told us before that whenever he reaches for a bottle of alcohol that we need to get you out of here or distract you. He doesn't want you to see him like this. You just, somehow, remind him of Sta-. Oh no. I fucked up. Oh, shit no! Let's go. Just come one", she begged after she realized that she screwed up badly. All of this because I reminded him of her? A heavy sigh left my lips.

A loud bang attracted all my attention, followed by the sound of shattered glass. My eyes widened immediately. Damian had a major breakdown and that because of me. Because I told him that no one ever was going to love him again - that he didn't deserve to be loved.
"Haley please!", Kathleen begged, but I shook my head from one side to the other. This was all my fault. Five fucking times. Even though I hated him so much that it hurt, I wouldn't let him get wasted. Not when I was the freaking reason for it.
"Haley please just-." I covered her mouth with my hand, shutting her up as her eyes grew bigger.
"Listen to me, Kathleen. You get the hell out of here. Let me handle this. Let me do the right thing for once", she nodded softly before I withdrawn my hand from her mouth.
"He is so going to kill me", she whimpered quietly. Fear was written all over her face.
"Then he needs to get through me first", my reply took her by surprise, and a weak smile spread over her lips.
"Please take care of yourself. He acts like a beast when he is drunk and angry", she warned me. Her voice low. Without another word, I nodded before I watched her walking backward, leaving me alone with him. I reminded him of Stacy. My stomach felt sick.