T w e n t y

Chapter Twenty

Lost in the process.

It has been two weeks and one day since Damian had his huge breakdown, and since we had the biggest fight that we ever had so far. Yepp, I was completely pissed. Pissed about everything that he said on that day. Pissed because I let my guard down in the first place. Angry because I allowed him to drag me into his whole story way too deep.

I had a mission. An important mission but, somehow, I got lost in the process of performing. But how? How did it happen that my walls started to crumble? And when? When did they crumble? I couldn't understand.

"Haley. Hey, are you okay?", Jason asked after he knocked on the door of the yellow-painted room I was sitting in. The white armchair resting in the corner right next to the window became my new favorite spot in this room. A place where I could stare out all day, creating the most beautiful and complicated plans inside my head.
"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine", I answered as he entered the room with a weak smile on his young face.
"What happened?"
"What do you mean?"
"What happened between you and Damian? I mean, you two are fighting with each other most of the time, but you also had your good moments, didn't you?", he asked quietly, and I shook my head from one side to the other. Good moments? 

"Are you a magician Hal? Because abraca-dayum, girl!" My laughter filled the air and his eyes softened. Was that a good moment between us? I remembered that I laughed - truly laughed because of his stupid attempts to flirt with me.
"Hey. Hey! Shh. It's only me", he whispered before he wrapped his hands around me, pulling me into his chest.
"Don't touch me!"
"Shh!" His steady heartbeat and the heat radiating off him unwillingly calmed me down, and I rested my head on his chest; listening to the comforting beating of his heart. This must have been a good moment between the two of us, right? I remembered this day as if it had only been yesterday. I could still feel his body heat radiating off him, warming me up.
"Haley are you o-", Damian tried to ask me before I ran right into his arms, catching him off guard. It took him several seconds until I felt his arms wrapping around me, pulling me into his chest.
"I'm here. Nothing will happen to you", he whispered against my hair, and I smiled evilly against his chest. Were these good moments between Damian and I? Were those the moments when my walls started to crumble? He said that he would be the one breaking my walls. "I'll break those thick walls of yours Haley", he mumbled. You did Damian, for a short period of time you really did. A fact that pissed me off even more. Why was I this weak? "I forgive you for smashing the window Haley Parker", he mumbled before he quickly turned around and made his way to the door. Simultaneously, I grabbed after his wrist, stopping his movements.
"You are forgiven for being you, Damian", I replied, and he nodded with a small smile on his face before I released him. It has always been the calm before the big storm. Jason was right. We had some good moments, but somehow, there were always bad ones following afterward.

"I don't know what you're talking about", I mumbled as he silently shook his head from one side to the other.
"Well anyways, you need to come with me", he declared. Confusion was written all over my face. I didn't want to leave my new favorite spot without knowing where we would be going.
"Where are we going?"
"Hm. Nowhere in particular", he lied, and I crossed my arms in front of my chest. Did he really think I would buy this shit?
"Then why do I need to come with you?"
"Because you can't stay here all by yourself, sunshine", he answered while he held my glance without backing out once.
"Tell me where we're going, and I promise that I will come with you voluntarily", I offered, and he stroke over his lips, thinking about it. 3. 2. 1.
"Fine. We're going to break into Brian's house", he shrugged, and I raised my eyebrow confused. Not good.
"And why would we do that exactly?"
"Because he has some information that we need", he said without going into detail. Information? This wasn't going according to my plan. I hated it.
"How do you know that he isn't home?"
"So many questions Haley", he smiled, and I nodded quietly. He needed to know that we were coming. He better hid that contract for once or else I was fucked.
"And you have all the answers to them, Jason", I smirked, and he shook his head from one side to the other. The weak smile was still present on his lips.
"I'll tell you everything on our way! Come on Haley! Don't tell me that you don't want to break into someone's house", he defied me, and I bit my bottom lip. The idea sounded lovely. Every house would be fine except for Brian's.
"Okay fine."