𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐬

"Kurt, I've thrown apart my entire TV stand

"Kurt, I've thrown apart my entire TV stand. I can't find the DVD." Cynthia sighs, frustrated into her phone, getting up from her crouched position next to the TV stand shelves. "I'm just gonna get some other movie. You'll survive if we go one sleepover without watching Moulin Rouge."

"You don't know that." Cynthia rolled her eyes at the boy's antics. Just then, she heard her front door open with great force, only to be slammed with the same power, causing the girl to jump, her eyes falling on the hallway leading into the living room and dining room. "What was that? "

"Uh...the wind shut the door. I'll see you later, yeah?" Hastily, Cynthia hung up the call, pocketed the phone and jogged her way up the stairs before her parents saw her or she saw her parents. Going into her room, she picked up her packed bag before grabbing her school bag in the other hand. She made her way out of her room and entered the hallway. Her parents' voices became even more transparent and louder.

"...Vi, this is important to me. Why can't you understand that?" Hearing her dad's voice, Cynthia sat on the stairs; her heart felt lodged in her throat. What was now a regular occurrence never made it easy on the girl's heart; every night, hearing yelling and arguments from her parents to the point dinners as a family most weekends were the most awkward ordeal. If Cynthia had not sat at the table every weekend, even that would have been ruined.

"Of course I understand. I just don't get why it has to be now? And don't lie to me by saying there haven't been any other good opportunities before."

"I wasn't sure back then, but I am now." Cooper runs a frustrated hand through his greying hair, Violet scoffing at this. "Why are you making such a big deal about this? Violet, this is a great opportunity for us-."

"No, Cooper, this is a great opportunity for you. I am perfectly content here. I don't want us to pack up and move to another fucking state!" Cynthia's eyes widen at this. Confusion, fear, and sadness mingled as she grappled with where the state of her family might end up, her mind over-thinking every possible outcome in the next few weeks. What was once she thought just a rough patch might be worse. She could feel her knees move rapidly, tears slowly beginning to slip down her face, causing her to let out a shakey breath as she stared up at the ceiling in an attempt to stop crying.

Wiping away any traces of tears on her cheeks, Cynthia picks up her bags and makes her way down the stairs. Hearing footsteps, both adults stop talking and stare at the walls or the countertop as Cynthia enters the room. Plastering a fake smile, Cynthia makes her way into the kitchen. 

"Hey, I'm heading to Kurt's place for a sleepover. I'll head to school tomorrow directly from there." 

Mentally exhausted, Violet nods, forcing a smile on her face. "Sure, honey. Have fun." The teen's eyes travel between her mom and her dad, who has his back turned to her. Instead of lingering longer, Cynthia nods, waving goodbye to her mom and heading out the door.