𝐃𝐮𝐞𝐭𝐬

"All right, let's, uh, let's gather around

"All right, let's, uh, let's gather around. Sorry I'm late, guys. I was with Principal Figgins. Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie." 

Cynthia's eyebrows shoot up in shock. "It really was just a matter of time." Tina cuts in, a few chuckling in agreement. "What did he do?" Quinn asks, ignoring Tina's comment.

"He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM." Will answers, once more sending a few into laughter. Meanwhile, Cynthia only imagined the thought process that led him to do this.

"And when is he getting out?" Rachel asks, equally concerned.

"Unknown"

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet, and that's coming from me," Brittany states out loud, giggling, making Will interrupt the group annoyed. "Guys! Let's have some sympathy."

"For a guy who put his needs before the team's?" Finn exclaims in irritation. "We need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence." Cynthia cocks her head to the side, furrowing her eyebrows.

"We can't look at this as a crisis. It's an opportunity." Will tries to convince the group, much to their chagrin. "For what? Further embarrassment and humiliation?"

"For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!" Cynthia's jaw drops slightly in shock before smiling and offering the boy a wave. He waved back. "Hey, everybody. I'm Sam. ... Sam, I am. ... And I don't like green eggs and ham." The room was in complete silence, Cynthia silently chuckling while Santana on the other hand was very vocal. 

"Oh, wow. He has no game."

"Okay! This is gonna be great. You're not going to regret joining, Sam." Finn patted the boy's shoulder, gesturing him to the empty seat in the front next to Cynthia. Offering a smile to the girl, Sam sat down next to the girl just as Finn sat back down.

"All right! Question for the group. What's a duet?"

"A blanket." While amusing, Brittany's answer goes ignored by the teacher as he begins to go on a rant. "A duet is when two voices join to become one. Great duets are like a great marriage. The singers complement each other and push each other to be better. Now, some people may think..."

"Hey!" Cynthia whispers to Sam, getting his attention. "I'm happy you joined. Though I'm kinda sad, you didn't tell me before. I could have gained some recruitment rep in the club."

"I didn't even know I was. I just decided this morning while I was napping during history class." Cynthia chuckles silently, shaking her head.

"...And that is what duets are all about. So, this week, I want you to pair up and sing a duet. And, since you guys all seemed to love our little 'Defying Gravity' diva-off, I'm making this a competition."

"What's the winner get?" asks Mike.

"Dinner for two, on me...at Breadsticks." At the announcement, everyone gave collective rounds of gasps, excited about winning the competition. Cynthia watches all her friends pair up, excited about winning with a smile on her face, but internally, she feels otherwise.