1. - So.. I was reborn as a Snake?

I remember that moment vividly.

The moment of my own death.

I was walking back home from work, completely exhausted. It was late at night as well, so I really, really wanted to rest. I also remember being in quite a bad mood, although that was mainly because of my boss at work.

Anyway - during my way back home, I had to pass through a street that had a bank on it. The bank was the central for this area - even I used it.

Now, why is this important?

Well, because just as I was passing by it, the bank just so happened to be getting robbed right in that moment. I remember hearing an alarm go off with the sound of windows breaking. When I looked to the source, I saw as around 5 men jumping out the window of the bank, carrying what looked to be the bags of money.

I'll be honest - I had absolutely no business in what was happening before my eyes.
After all, dealing with criminals was the job of the police, not a low-wage worker at a huge company. So, I wanted to ignore the commotion and just use another path to get home.

Unfortunately for me, things are never that simple.

The police arrived almost immediately and before I knew what was happening - a shootout between the criminals and the police had broken out. I was trying to walk past the whole thing on the other side of the street, however one of the criminals just so happened to suck at aiming and fired a bullet towards me.

Of course, the bullet hit me.

I remember falling to the ground, as blood began to flow out of the bullet wound. It was rather painful. After rolling onto my back, I just laid there on the street, as I slowly died. In that moment, I remember recalling all I could about my life.

One could say my life was rather sad and I'd even say, very miserable. Although, that was to be expected from someone who was living his adult life as a low-wage worker. The company I worked for had some meh working conditions and quite high working hours - like 50 or so hours a week.

I'm honestly am surprised I didn't die earlier.

I was expecting to work myself to death, not die because of bad luck.

But oh well, what can you do?
No really, what could I do?

Sure, I could have just turned around and walk the other way, but I was very tired and wanted to get home as fast as possible.

While thinking, I sort of laughed to myself at the presence of a single thought. 'How cool would it be, if I was reincarnated like the protagonists in those isekai stories?' - Was my thought.

However, even though I thought it would be pretty cool, I also noted to myself - Even if I got reincarnated like the isekai stories, I wouldn't be like all those protagonists.
I'd probably be some nobody with nothing special about him. I mean, that was what I was like my whole life.

'Maybe not. I'll just settle with my death.' I thought before closing my eyes with a wide smile plastered over my face. As cool as the idea sounded, I would prefer for that to not happen.

Then, for a few last moments, right before my life ended, I heard a voice speak. Now what it said - I've got no clue, as I had already tuned it out.

Whatever it was though, it probably wasn't all that important.

And so, I died. After 28 Years, I had met my end in quite a boring way. I was hoping for a cooler death to be honest.

And then.. something strange happened.