Chapter 14

Hey, everyone!
Sorry for the slow updates. Since my exams are ongoing, I don't really have the leisure. So, I'm writing whenever I'm free or want some time away from my studying.

Thank you for reading my story.😊✨
Happy reading! 💞😍

Nandini, having finished her bath, found herself immersed in a quiet moment of reflection, contemplating the intricate twists and turns that had led her to this unexpected point. As her thoughts travelled through the network of her experiences, a sudden realization flashed in her mind - how did Manik know her name without ever asking? Why had he not questioned her about the swap? Tonight, she decided, was the night to ask him, and they hadn't had the chance to talk previously. Just as she geared up for the conversation, the door to the bathroom swung open, revealing a freshly showered Manik.

His damp hair and just-showered appearance momentarily captivated Nandini. For a brief second, she found herself entranced by the sight before shaking off the distraction and composing herself. Manik, oblivious to the tempest in Nandini's mind, questioned, "Why are you still up? You could've slept, na?"

"I had to ask you about something," she declared, determination cutting through the quiet atmosphere.

Encouraged by Manik's nod, Nandini took a deep breath and posed the burning question, "How did you know my name?"

Manik, caught off guard, responded with a confused, "What?"

Nandini reiterated, "I mean, the first day I came here, you called me by my name. But you never asked me my name nor was I ever introduced to anyone. How did you know my name?"

Manik, realizing the gravity of her inquiries, hadn't given much thought to these details. However, he understood the need for honesty and decided to tell the truth to remove further complications and to remove her from the shadow.

Days before the wedding:

Manik found himself settled in his office, grappling with the nearing marriage he vehemently opposed. His reluctance to conform to familial expectations and his fear of potential gold diggers had led him to vehemently despise the idea of getting married. Anjali, the chosen bride, did not sit well with him - her overenthusiastic demeanor clashed with his need for personal space.

To extricate himself from this unwelcome union, Manik turned to Rohan, his best friend and secretary, to conduct a thorough background check on Anjali and her family. As he meticulously sifted through the files, he uncovered Anjali's history of multiple wealthy ex-boyfriends.

He didn't know what to do with her, how to get rid of her. But then he reads that Anjali was an aspiring model in the early stages of her career. So, he thought, why not propose an arrangement where she would leave before the wedding, and if the bride wouldn't be there, the wedding would be canceled.

That's how he used his connections and prepared an excellent offer for Anjali to model in New York. He had made the plan in such a way that she wouldn't be present on the day of the wedding and would have to leave the same day.

However, what he planned didn't go according to his wishes. Yes, Anjali had run away. He ensured that she did by structuring an offer that left her with no other option. But behind Manik's knowledge, her family stealthily substituted the bride, smoothly proceeding with the wedding. Stuck in a confusing situation, Manik had no choice but to play along. Revealing the truth that the bride had run away would only complicate matters further. Confused and uncertain about the unfolding events, he reluctantly continued with the proceedings, unaware of the secret actions behind the scenes.

As the flashback concluded, Manik confessed to Nandini, leaving her stunned. The anger and confusion within her intensified. She then remembered that he never suspected her. In between all her anger, she asked him, "Why didn't you suspect me? Why didn't you say anything when you found out I had been replaced?"

Manik, looking into her eyes, responded, "I had read about you in the file, and I had seen you during the meeting with Anjali. Something in you told me you couldn't willingly be part of this. You looked too innocent and genuine to involve yourself in such deception, unless forced."

Mixed emotions overwhelmed Nandini. His trust warmed her, but the sadness persisted. She confronted him about choosing the wrong way to handle the situation.

"Manik... If you didn't want to get married, you should've been honest with your family. You chose the wrong way, and it involved me. I wouldn't be in this situation if not for you," she expressed with a mix of frustration and sorrow.

Manik, genuinely sorry, apologized, "I'm sorry, Nandini. I was selfish. I realize that. But at that moment, nothing was in my mind except not wanting to get married. I'm truly sorry."

Silence enveloped them as Nandini, overwhelmed, retreated to the balcony to digest everything. Manik, left alone, grappled with regret and the realization that a connection, unexpected and unanticipated, was forming between them.

In the quiet of the night, as Nandini sat alone, and Manik contemplated the consequences of his actions, both were unknowingly poised at the beginning of a journey - a journey that would either lead to reconciliation or further complexities in their entangled lives. The night held their unspoken truths and the potential for a new chapter in their intertwined fate, as the moon witnessed the unfolding saga of love, deception, and the quest for understanding. The stars overhead twinkled, each one holding a secret yet to be revealed, just like the hearts of Nandini and Manik, entwined in the dance of fate.

The room, once filled with heavy silence, became a space for Manik to voice his earnest intentions. "Nandini," he began, his gaze unwavering, "I understand the seriousness of my actions. I know I took the wrong path, and I hurt you in the process. But here we are, tangled in a situation neither of us wanted. I won't ask you to forget, but I'm asking for a chance to make it right."

Nandini, still grappling with the whirlwind of emotions, looked at him expectantly. Manik continued, "I promise to give you the space you need. I won't force anything, but I want the opportunity to build trust, to make amends. It won't be easy, and I won't pretend it will be, but I'm ready to put in the effort if you're willing to give us that chance."

The sincerity in Manik's voice resonated in the room. Nandini, though guarded, felt a flicker of something amidst the chaos. "Manik," she said, her tone measured, "trust is not something that comes easy. But if you're genuine about making this work, then, yes, let's see where this goes."

Manik nodded, a sense of determination in his eyes. The night, once shrouded in uncertainty, now held the promise of a new beginning. They stood on the precipice of a journey, uncertain yet willing, as the moon cast its glow on the unfolding chapters of their intertwined fate.