~ 1 ~

Today was the day all families in the districts dreaded. Waking up not knowing if you or your loved ones will come home later that day.
It was the reaping of the 71st annual Hunger Games.

Saylor woke up to the sound of her brother's footsteps pacing back in forth in the kitchen. She tried falling back asleep but the constant footsteps and mumbling did not let her. Deciding she had enough, she got out of bed and went downstairs.
Once she got to the bottom of the stairs. her brother still doesn't notice her.
"Ahem," she clears her throat trying to get his attention.
Finnick stops his pacing. looks at her, then sits at their dining table and runs his hands through his hair
"you ok?" she asks as she walks over to the counter to put some bread in the toaster.
"What if this is the year your name is picked? I can't just sit back and watch you fight for your life." he blurts out.

Finnick fears every year that Saylor's name will be picked to become a tribute. He would do anything to protect her from the Hunger Games.
Saylor looks at him and sighs " Finn, we don't know what's going to happen at the reaping. Of course, I am scared that my name will be picked. But I am also sure if I were to be picked. I have more of a chance than some of the other tributes.

Ever since Finnick won his game. he has been training Saylor so that she would be more prepared if she ever got reaped.

"I know you do but what if that's not enough? I don't know what I would do if I lost you in that arena"
Saylor immediately walks over and hugs her brother.
"Finn you're not going to lose me ok? You're stuck with me for life" She pulled away and gave him a small smile. "Good, I don't want to know what life is like without my annoying little sister," he said to her with a grin on his face.
"Whatever," she said while rolling her eyes. She walked to the fridge to grab some jelly for her toast.
The two siblings sat at the table talking about anything but the reaping or the Hunger Games. Trying to distract themselves with anything but the day ahead.
After Saylor finished breakfast she went upstairs to start getting ready for the reaping.
She put on a white dress that had blue flowers on it. And pinned back two pieces of her hair so it was out of her face. After she did her hair she applied light makeup.
When she was done getting ready finnick knocked on her door to tell her that they needed to leave. So she put on her shoes and headed downstairs.

Saylor walks towards the crowd of the reaping. Each step she takes the more nervous she becomes.
Finnick had left her to go backstage. So she was by herself.
She walks over to the table "Arm" the peacekeeper roughly says. She sticks her arm out and the peacekeeper draws her blood. "Next"
Saylor walks over to the stage area and looks around.
Immediately she notices a little girl getting shoved by the peacekeepers. She started to walk over to help but someone grabbed her arm.
"Don't, it will only make things worse " She turns around to see a boy who looks to be her age.
"Let go of me" Saylor pulls her arm out of his grasp.
The boy put his hands up in a Surrendering gesture.
"I am sorry for grabbing you, but trust me, Interfering with peacekeepers will only cause more havoc" he started to walk to the men's side of the reaping. But before he got over he turned around and said "I'm River by the way" and before the girl could answer he turned around and walked off.

||River Reeve||

Suddenly a loud tapping was heard through the speakers

Suddenly a loud tapping was heard through the speakers. Everyone turns her attention to the blond lady who is dressed in the typical capital attire.

"Ahem, Welcome! Welcome, welcome. Happy Hunger Games. And, may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, before we begin. We have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol!"

"War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebeled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up, in tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."

"Wasn't that a fantastic film? the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 4 in the 71st Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

The blond lady moves over to the pool of names, and draws a piece of paper. She goes back to the microphone and opens it

"Saylor Odair"