Chapter Four

“You were my dream. I got into singing because of you, did you forget? You were the only one who believed in me and urged me to go to that path. Without you I wouldn’t even be where I am now. We promised each other not to hide anything, no matter what. Did those mean nothing to you?”

“Umma..” Joohyun muttered softly, a few feet away from both of you.

You quickly moved your hands to your face, wiping the traces of tears as you, stood up to go to your daughter.

“Joohyunnie,” you smile, squatting down to her level, as you caressed her cheeks with both of your hands. “do you want to meet your dad?” you asked, finally deciding that Joonmyun should be a part of both your daughter’s life.

The words that escaped your lips, brought Suho to shock, not knowing what to do. It was only today that he had learned he had a daughter and now, he was officially meeting her as her dad and not just the ‘handsome man.’

Suho rose from his seat, joining you to your daughter’s side, also squatting to meet her level.

“Joohyun annyeong.” Joonmyun smiled, hoping she wouldn’t be scared of him.

The little kid was confused for a second, looking back to her mom for reassurance. You smiled as you nodded, telling her that it was fine. It was time for her to know.

“A-annyeong haseyo.” Joohyun mumbled as you took one of her hands to intertwine yours and her tiny fingers together, her bowing down to her dad.

It made Suho smile, seeing a lot of resemblance between the love of his life and his daughter. Beautiful, polite, and perfect in every aspect.

“Can I hug you?” Suho asked cautiously, smiling even bigger when the six year old nodded her small head.

—————

“Goodnight appa.” Joohyun smiled, getting tucked in for the very first time by her own dad.

“Goodnight, sweetheart.” Suho said sweetly, giving her a kiss on the forehead.

It amazed you how quickly Joohyun embraced her dad and it made you feel horrible for hiding him away for so long. You felt like a bad mother, you didn’t deserve someone as sweet and good as Joohyun. Just the thought of her hating you would be enough to make your whole world crumble, what’s left of it, that is. You promised you would protect her no matter what, but you were just bringing her pain and loneliness.

Suho saw the uncomfortable look on your face and he frowned, turning off the pink lamp by Joohyun’s bed, then walking towards your direction by the door frame.

“Hyunji.” Joonmyun called out to you, closing the door behind him, following you to the white kitchen.

You didn’t turn around, not wanting him to see the tears that had failed to stay, too embarrassed to face him. “Would you like something to drink?” you asked, trying to sound as normal as possible, but he knew.

Over these six long years, Joonmyun still remembered. He remembered every little detail about you. Your favorite color, food, book, weather, even your favorite number.  All those things about you were still somewhere safe in his head, hoping one day he’d get an explanation from you and then he’d try his best to get you back again. No matter what, he was determined to get you by his side again, to finally complete him.

“Just water would be fine.” he answered, sitting at one of the stools on the marbled island.

You got a glass from one of the cabinets, making your way around the island and to the refrigerator to get him a cup of water and wiping your tears in the process, so he wouldn’t see. You handed it to him, sitting at the next stool beside him.

“Thanks.” he muttered, drinking half of the glass in one shot.

You smiled weakly, putting your hands on top of the table where they were intertwined together, something you did as a habit when you were confused and sad as Suho noted.

“Su- I mean, Joonmyun, I’m really sorry.” you bravely said, turning your head to face him.

“Hyu-“

“No,” you cut him off, shaking your head. “just let me finish please.” you looked at him sincerely.

There was a short pause from him, nodding his head to let you continue.

“I know I haven’t been the best girlfriend when we were together in the past, but everything was real. The reason I left you, was because I was afraid for you. But, I’m not afraid anymore. I would do everything for Joohyun and I want her to be happy. I may be the worst mother for keeping her away from you, but I thought it was for the best. I didn’t want to hurt you and I ended up hurting everyone instead. I’m really, really sorry for everything Joonmyun. Things will never be the same between us, but it would be great if you were there for Joohyun at least. She needs you. I’ve been hiding you for too long and I think it’s best for her if she has a dad that she can look up to. I know I shouldn’t have lied in the first place and I’m deeply regretful for that, I shou-“

“Hyunji. Stop.” Suho interrupted, caressing your cheek with his hand as he brushed away the tears that you didn’t even know had started to fall again with his thumb. “Stop blaming yourself for everything.” he hushed, pulling you in for a hug.

You just sat there frozen, the tears still streaming as Joonmyun embraced you.

“I forgive you. Not because I understand everything that’s happened, heck I’m still lost about most of that happened, but because it’s what’s best for everyone, I’ll try to understand. Especially for Joohyun. I don’t hate you for keeping her away from me, nor I am mad at you, it’s just that I’m hurt. Hurt that you didn’t trust me enough that you had to keep her life hidden away from me. After being with her today even with just merely an hour, I fell in love with her. She’s the most beautiful daughter I could ever ask for and thank you for taking care of her. Thank you for introducing me to her and thank you for apologizing. It really means a lot Hyunji.” he finished cutting you off.