Chapter Seven

Then it was Joohyun’s first birthday. A big party with some people he recognized as your friends, and some even his own. Suho stopped for a moment, checking to see if what he saw was right. He stared at the picture not believing one of his members was there with you and his own child and not him.

- - - - - - - - - -

It was a few moments until Joohyun was asleep, tucked into Suho’s bed, sleeping peacefully after a story of the Ugly Duckling. He carefully shifted off the bed, making sure not to wake up his sweet little princess. Going down the flight of stairs, he found the guys cleaning up after dinner, Kyungsoo and Sehun finally getting their break as they marveled at the small portraits given by Joohyun.

“Hyung, she’s so talented.” smiled Kyungsoo, holding up the piece of paper for the leader to see. Somehow, Kyungsoo noticed Joonmyun’s change of attitude throughout the night after he came out of his room when Joohyun showed him his present. “What did you get?” he asked, curious to see if the present had something to do with how he was acting.

“It was her scrapbook from all her birthdays ‘till now.” Suho smiled, the thoughts of Chanyeol being in the picture still bothering him. Why was he there? He thought only Kyungsoo and Jongin knew about Joohyun’s existence. “Kyungsoo, can I talk to you?” he softly spoke, desperate to find answers that were hidden from him.

Kyungsoo nodded, guessing the leader finally wanted to know how he and Jongin knew that Hyunji had a child.

They stepped out to the balcony, the night air welcoming both as Kyungsoo closed the glass door behind him. “What is it hyung?” he asked cautiously, knowing that he might snap any second. The only times Joonmyun was this quiet was when there was something driving him insane, and these were one of them.

“Is there anyone besides Jongin and you that knew?” he turned his head, getting straight to the point, meeting his friend who stared back at him in confusion.

There was a pause as Kyungsoo tried to think if he ever told anyone, surely Kai wouldn’t have told anyone else. He shook his head, looking straight at the leader with his big round eyes. “Not that I know of. It was only Jongin and I who saw Hyunji noona and Jae-in at a cafe and she was already nine months pregnant. It even shocked me, seeing her like that after almost a year.” he paused, checking to see if there was a change in Suho’s expression. There was nothing, his leader was too good at hiding his feelings, so he just continued. “Then after she saw us, she called Jongin and I to meet her at the same place when Jae-in was gone. She begged us not to tell you, pointing out that it would put a risk at our debut. There was nothing else we could do. I’m really sorry hyung.” he finished, looking down to the ground.

Go Jae-in. She must be the answer to all of this. If she knew beforehand that Hyunji was pregnant, did that explain why Chanyeol was at Joohyun’s birthday party? These questions rushed into Suho’s mind, still trying to puzzle things together before confronting the tall rapper.

“Araso. I get it Kyungsoo-yah. You don’t have to be sorry. We all would have done the same thing.” he smiled ever so softly, squeezing D.O.’s shoulder lightly for reassurance. “Thank you for telling me.”

“Yah! What the hell?” Chen yelled, opening the door to Exo’s dorm, surprising everybody, even the two guys in the balcony who heard the ringing of Jongdae’s voice. Minseok walked behind the agitated idol, having three other members in tow with their luggages.

“Yeah! What happened?” Luhan added, stomping his way in. “You guys were supposed to pick us up like three hours ago!” he said in a loud voice, getting Joohyun to walk slowly by the stairs to see what was happening, already awoken from Jongdae’s louder voice previously.

“Can you not yell?” Baekhyun scolded back, worried that it would wake up the little girl, but too late for that. “We’re sorry okay? We forgot and we have a perfectly good reason, so you better shut your trap Jongdae or else I will shut it for you.” he snapped, having seen Joohyun from his peripheral vision, feeling sorry that the noises had woken her up. This clearly shocked the guys that had just traveled from China, rarely ever seeing their fellow singer get enraged over something.

“Hyung.” Sehun whispered to Suho, nodding his head towards the stairs, where Joohyun looked down, trying to guess what the commotion was all about. The leader sighed after what he saw, totally forgetting about his responsibilities as an idol after being a father.

He walked over the the boys that just came, getting in between the annoyed Jongdae and the equally annoyed Baekhyun. “Okay, okay. Enough.” he said calmly, trying to welcome the guests.

“You’re yelling at us for not picking us up?” Chen continued on, his new attitude coming out of nowhere. “Does that even make sense, hyung?” he scoffed. “We had to wait three hours, hiding from fans and we couldn’t even get on a taxi without being spotted—”

“JUST SHUT UP!” Suho finally blew up, surprising everyone. He was not one to raise his voice, scaring Joohyun even more after catching on quickly to the situation.
It was all her fault, she thought. Tears streamed out of her eyes, realizing that she was the reason there was a fight because of her. If she didn’t ask in the first place to stay with her dad, they wouldn’t be yelling at each other.

Jongin was the first to see Joohyun crying, his eyes widening as he ran towards the stairs. “Aish,” he cursed under his breath, pulling Kyungsoo with him up to see Joohyun run towards Joonmyun’s room.

All the attention was diverted towards Kai and D.O. running up the stairs, hearing a door slam where Joohyun ran towards the bed, her tears still flowing under the covers.

“Hyunnie, were coming in.” Kyungsoo softly whispered, opening the door. “It’s okay. There’s no need to cry.” he continued, walking towards the bed with Kai slowly pulling the covers to reveal the little girl.

“Shh, everything’s okay. The uncles are just annoyed, there’s no need to cry.” Jongin said, picking her up to cradle her in his arms, smoothing out her hair as she continued to cry, burying her face into his chest.

“I already said that.” Kyungsoo childishly said. It saddened him seeing the girl cry, what would their noona say if she knew they made her daughter cry.

The rest of the guys downstairs followed the two to Suho’s room, seeing Joohyun weep into Kai’s shirt, still shocked from what she had just witnessed. It broke Joonmyun’s heart, knowing it was his fault for being irresponsible and letting things escalate to this.

“Who’s that?” Xiumin asked curiously, wondering why there was a little girl crying in Jongin’s arms.

It seemed everyone else who didn’t know was just as curious, giving their attention to the leader as he answered, “My daughter.”