Chapter Twelve

You glanced from Jae-In to Suho, unsure of what to do next. Speaking at that time didn’t feel right, but you knew you had to say something.

“Joonmyun-ah.” you muttered lowly, hoping it would calm him down like it did in the past. You looked at him as his breathing started to go back to normal, but his eyes still fierce and filled with doubt.

“Let’s go.” he said sternly, taking your hand and pulling you out of the scene and away from Jae-in, before people started to come for the commotion.

You looked back at Jae-in with her defeated look, glaring at you with eyes like lasers. If only looks could kill, you would have been gone right then and there.

The two of you settled on going to an old park you used to hang out with, now with old rusted pieces, abandoned. The grass looked like it hasn’t been cut for ages, the flowers, long dead, even the swing that you loved, cut down. But, despite everything, the tree that you loved climbing up to was still there and standing strong. It made you smile that even though everything around it has gone, it was still there, not giving up.

You felt Suho let go of your hand, not even noticing he has been holding onto it this whole time. The feeling was just too familiar that you felt sad when he let go.

“Hyun-”

“Joon-”

You both said at the same time. You chuckled softly to yourself, thinking back at the old times. Shaking the those thoughts away, you looked up to him, ready to speak before he cut you off again.

“No, let me speak first, please.” At least his gentle side was back, you thought, nodding and ready to listen.

“I know what Jae-in said may or may not be true, but I just need to know one thing for sure from you.„” he paused, putting both his hands in his pockets. “Is Joohyun really my daughter?”

“Of course!” you answered back too quickly, quite offended that it was even a question. “I know I may have lied to you about many things, but I will not lie about my daughter like that.” you stopped yourself before you got even more worked up.

You turned around, breathing heavily to calm yourself. Why were you even there? Everything wasn’t going according to your plan and nothing was going well. You looked up to the tree, jealous. Why couldn’t you be strong just like it despite all the hardships it went through.

Suho walked up to you, surprising you with a back hug. You tried to get out, but he wasn’t budging.

“Just stay like this. Like old times.” he muttered closely.

You gave up struggling and stood frozen. Was doing this even alright, knowing there would be consequences later on?

“Suho, let go.” you said firmly as you got out of his hold and stepped back.

He looked at you in confusion and with disappointment. “Why?” he asked lowly and dangerously. “Why is it that every single time I’m with you, you can’t look at me like you did before? My name isn’t Suho, damn it! I’ve always been the Joonmyun that you knew, what the hell did I do that made you forget about the real me?”

You blinked, not expecting his outburst. “What else do you want me to do?” you asked in return. “Everywhere I go there’s always Suho this, Suho that. I was the one who left. I don’t have the right to act like everything’s okay and go back to the way everything used to be when you were just Joonmyun. You’re definitely more than that.”

“It’s not who I want to be when I’m with you.” he added, after your reply. “Can’t you see that?”

“Why are you still being nice to me?”

“I still love you.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Joohyun-ah, let’s go." Minah called out, as she put on her jacket.

Apparently, Chen had promised the little girl ice cream and Minah had no choice but to tag along with them.

"Neh, Aunt Minah." the six year old beamend, already pulling Jongdae’s hand out to the door. "We’re ready." she smiled, looking back from Jongdae to Minah.

Chen shrugged, trying to hide the grin on his face.

"Wait, wait, wait!!!" they heard Sehun and Luhan scream at the same time, rushing to put their jackets on, as they descended down the stairs.

"We’re coming too!" Luhan yelled from the bottom of the stairs, looking around for his glasses.

"What?" Baekhyun chimed in from the kitchen, walking towards the door along with Kyungsoo.

"If that’s the case, I’m coming too." Kyungsoo stated, already taking the apron off himself.

Joohyun only smiled brighter at the sight of her uncles wanting to join in too. “How about…” she paused for dramatic effect. “we all go!” she jumped, raising both her hands and opening it wide.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Kai appeared out of nowhere, already picking up the little girl into his arms.

"Can we, noona, please?" Sehun beamed, already pouting those thin lips.

The supposedly in charge aunt sighed, unable to beat everyone’s request, nodding her head in defeat.

"I guess it won’t hurt." she said reluctantly. "But!" she paused, eyeing all the guys. "You all have to make sure we don’t get noticed. Especially with Joohyun here."

I’m so sorry for not updating all this time. I’ve just been busy this summer ): I know the story is going slow and the updates are all short, but please bear with me, I promise not to disappoint.