9

Stan sighs as he opens his eyes. Another day. But, this day is different because he has a plan.

He looks around his room and gives a slight whine since he doesn't want to get up. But, sooner or later, he stands and puts on his usual clothes.

Stan needs to pick up his clothing from the tailor he visited yesterday, and he also must return to his guard duties. He decides he will check in the king and then return to the tailor.

Before stepping out of his sleeping chamber, however, he slips a deep purple book into his shirt.

Stan then runs out, jogging along the same route before finally arriving at the manor gates he knew oh so well. The doors give a creaky opening as he sees the man inside.

Stan had decided yesterday to bury the grudge he holds for The Elven King deep inside. He knows he cannot give his best effort of the image of his dying comrade still rots in his mind. So, Stan must serve The Elf King with all his might. Or at least, make it seem like he does.

"Ah, Stan," Kyle begins, "Today I have a - rather special mission for you."

"Which is?" Stan asks.

"Well, a humble bard wishes for wood to make his instrument. But this wood is far away, and it is dangerous to get. I need you to accompany the bard to get the wood." The King explains.

Stan nods a little suspiciously, "Why do all of this for a humble bard?" He questions.

"I-" Kyle starts, but then pauses, seemingly attempting to find the right words. "He- I owe him. One could say I am indebted to him for my life."

Stan's eyes go wide as he realizes what Kyle is saying. He is in shock. A humble bard saved this man's life?

He clears his throat, "Ah, yes. Where shall I meet him?"

"You are aware where the head spy makes her home?" He asks. Stan nods.

"Good," The Elf King replies, "Go around the bend and walk down the set of steps towards the back. The bard should be waiting. Make sure to bring weapons. The bard should have the anecdote."

Anecdote? Stan thinks, What do you mean, anecdote?

Stan gives a bow and turns around, about to walk down the stairs before being interrupted.

"Also, Stan," The Elf King begins, a sly look on his face, "Clyde did tell me what you did last night. He heard everything, including the name you were yelling."

Stan immediately turns a bright shade of scarlet. "I- I have to go now-" He stutters, now running down the manor steps and making his way to the spy tree.

Once he arrives, Stan rounds the bend and sees a bard. He carries a small stringed lyre. Suddenly, the bard spots Stan.

"Oh- oh he- hello!" He greets, "I am J- Jimmy! A humble- a humble bard! I am told you can h- help me find my wood?"

Stan nods slightly. The bard gives a smile, "How delightful, n- now follow me please, g- guard. We must leave b- before sun- sun- sunrise."

Both of them start off, walking along the forest floor. During the travel, the bard tells old stories of a time long, long ago. Where there was no war, and when the elven citizens were at peace, trading with the Kingdom of the West.

Stan does not wish to tell the bard that he already knows what it was like to live during those times, because he was alive during those times. But, the poor bard has feelings, feelings that Stan does not want to hurt.