11

Kyle gives a breathy sigh as he looks over the parchment once again, utterly stuck.

His mind flashes back to the conversation he had with the Jester from the Kingdom of the West when he was passing through. Kyle does not understand how he was so blind before.

But still, he cannot begin to grasp what is so plainly obvious. Kyle cannot accept that he was so blinded by love that he took another elf's life.

The scene of his first love replays over and over in his head. The man he saw sitting near the lake, and how he discovered his true powers...

All of it is a lie, but Kyle does not want to let it go. He wishes to continue the oblivious life he lived. Kyle will surrender his troops if it means Stan will not betray him, but sadly he cannot change the past.

Poor Liane. She came to him, begging he listen to her pleas as she painted the god in his head in a red light. He... he murdered her for it.

Kyle is so naive that he cannot even see Stan for the man he really is, but Kyle doesn't want to.

Kyle pushes out his chair and gets up, swollen eyes and a stuffy nose preventing him from peace. He pulls off his cloak and miserably falls into his bed, immediately falling asleep the second he lands.

-----------------

Stan wakes up, basking in the warm glow of the sunlight. He expects to see his old chamber, but is grudgingly surprised when he doesn't.

It is his second day living with The Elf King, his first being moving day. Kyle still refuses to tell him anything about the unexpected departure, and Stan is still utterly baffled.

He masks a chuckle seeing a leather messenger bag in the corner of the room. Kyle was not joking about getting him a bag.

Suddenly he hears a rapping upon his door, "Stan! Breakfast!"

And just like clockwork, Stan removes the blankets from overtop of himself and stands up, now walking towards the dining hall.

As he walks in, Stan once again marvels at the glistening floors and the beautifully intricate chandeliers. He sees the Elf King sitting at the very end of the long wooden table taking up most of the floor room.

"Ahem," Kyle clears his throat, "Good morning to you, Stan." He states, fork in one hand and knife in the other.

"Erm, good morning to you too," Stan awkwardly replies, waving off his words as if they are nothing, "What do you have waiting for me today?" He asks.

"Oh, about that..." The Elf King looks at him with sorrow, "You have not got a thing to do, for I am just in my study today."

Stan attempts to hide the look of disappointment upon his face with squinted eyes and a tattered smile, "Oh- that is fine! Just call upon me if I am needed!"

The rest of breakfast continues on in silence, but not the comfortable silence Stan prefers. It is like a thick fog, coating everything and preventing anyone to see. For Stan clearly cannot see at all what The Elf King is feeling, and he is not sure he wants to.

As the Elven King finishes his meal, he puts a handkerchief to his mouth and mumbles out, "I am off to my study. Please behave."

And just like that, Kyle vanishes while Stan is left to tend to himself. It seems unfair, as Stan prefers action and mystery rather than being cooped up inside, not allowed to see the outdoors.

He sighs and exits his chair, now slumping back to his room and falling directly onto his bed. He does not bother to close the door, for two guards following him have already completed the task.