22

Warning: Violence

Stan slides between two trees as he comes closer to the grounds gate. There are two guards standing by, but Stan knows that guarding the grounds is known for how anticlimactic it is, so the two probably are not paying much attention.

All it takes is an odd-looking acorn to set the guards' attention away. So, Stan rummages around the forest floor to find a slightly shiny rock. He shrugs and chucks it through the air, landing directly on the other side of the gate.

With his distraction in place, Stan bolts for the door when he sees the guards are looking away.

Stan quickly brakes behind a wall, catching his breath before looking around the corridors. He starts a brisk walk, attempting to act powerful- the general always was dutiful.

Remembering the halls, Stan realizes he must walk across the throne room to get to the dungeon where Kyle is being held. Hopefully the king does not question him. Perhaps he will shrug him off, as he cares about food exponentially more.

Stan slows his walk a bit, trying to be casual. But, as all good plans do, Stan comes across an obstacle.

He breeches the courtyard and heads straight for the middle before he hears shouting from the next hallway. Stan stands on the corner, clinging to the wall. He strains his ears to get a better picture of the situation.

"What do you mean you lost the dagger?! What is wrong with you? Well then- of course you must find its brother!"

"It- mh.. m.."

Stan cannot make out what this person is saying.

"No one has stolen that dagger!" The first man yells, "Liars are sinners, Michael, now go and grab it!"

Michael seems to scurry away while the first man walks closer to Stan, sighing to himself.

"Ugh, idiots..." he mumbles, "mh, the bastard."

The man then leans against the corner, a step away from Stan.

Stan quickly shoves his hand over his mouth, breathing softly as to not be heard.

The man then gets out a paper, as Stan hears crumpling. Then, he mutters something incoherently and throws it to the side, the paper staring right at Stan's face:

WANTED:
Stanley Marsh, general of the Kingdom has been reported of treason.

He has escaped his task and no longer resides in the Elven Kingdom.

Any citizen reporting of his whereabouts will be rewarded handsomely by the King.

Stan stares at the paper, his eyes going wide.

Fuck.

He scrambles around, attempting to walk away but instead falling flat on his face. The commotion causes the man on the other corner to look around, seeing the previous general and shouting.

"STANLEY MARSH! HE IS HERE!"

Stan clumsily gets to his feet and starts bolting down the halls. His anxiety picks up more and more as he hears the number of feet running behind him growing.

"Shit," he swears under his breath, "I need to shake them."

Stan winces, still running with all his might. And while the guards are gaining on him, before they get anywhere close to him, Stan quickly turns his direction and starts sprinting towards them.