10

Stan eyes his surroundings, carefully slipping through the shadows. He cannot be seen.

He quickly jumps the fence of the manor into the very wood-y backyard. Stan then pulls open the back door and walks in, acting normal once he walks in the halls, guards lining entrances everywhere.

Stan made a mistake and let his anger get the best of him. He can't do that again or else he'll put his whole mission in jeopardy.

"Ah, Stan! I have been expecting you!" The Elf King appears behind him, causing Stan to flinch and turn around.

"Oh, hello there your majesty."

The King looks annoyed, "It is Kyle to you."

Stan fiercely nods as he gives a side-smile, forcefully squinting his eyes.

"Anywho," Kyle starts, "I need to ask you a favor."

Stan scans the area and looks back at The Elf King, the same grin on his face as he mutters an agreement.

"Very good. I have some business to attend to, and I need you to watch the prince."

Suddenly a little boy with black, ruffled hair runs out from behind the king.

"This is my brother, Ike," He introduces, "I expect perfection from you, Stan."

Stan motions for Ike to come near him and he puts his hand around him protectively, nodding to Kyle while he walks off.

So I am stuck to watch this little boy. He thinks, annoyed.

"Hello there Stan!" Ike greets, "I am Ike, the Royal Prince of this kingdom!" He yells quite happily.

Stan can't help but smile at the boy.
He is adorable.

"Awe, you are a royal prince!" Stan agrees, "And you do not seem to be a handful at all!"

Stan gives a laugh before yawning, tired after all the walking with Jimmy. But when he opens his eyes, Ike is nowhere to be seen.

"What!? Ike?" He questions, "Ike?"

Oh no, where is Ike?!

Stan frantically searches around the manor, staring at the guards and tilting his head with a sick expression on his face.

"Did you happen to see anything? Hello? Sir?" Stan waves his hand in front of the guards view, but he does not break contact with the wall right in front of him.

Stan thinks that this situation is fit for one of those swear words.

"Fuck," He states, oddly enticed by the rebellious nature of his actions.

Stan then slaps himself on the forehead, remembering that he needs to find Ike.

"Ike? Ike!"

Stan's eyes widen as he slowly steps forward to the castle window, seeing Ike swinging on a tall tree, a fatal drop below him.

He is conflicted, but Stan needs to make a choice now. He can either save the prince and cause the King to be happy, to rejoice in wellness and win this war, since Stan gave them the idea of metal. Or, he can swallow his empathy and leave the prince to die, batting an eye at the helpless child.

He stares for a second longer and sees Ike lose his grip, slipping onto a branch below him and shuffling his feet to try to stay up.

And at that moment, everything aligns. Stan knows what he has to do. He's never been more sure of anything in his life.