011- Dinner invite

Nicklaus

My gaze trailed along David’s steps, and walking beside him was his wife, Elizabeth. They were making their way to our table, smiling at some of their acquaintances, who were still at the bar.

The couple were close friends of my parents and owners of the jazz bar, where David sometimes played as a pianist and his wife, the greatest jazz singer I had come to know. Being in their fifties and still very much in love with each other was a beautiful thing, and it was also something I couldn’t say about my parents, even before my mother passed.

David made eye contact with me, and I gently squeezed Muna’s hand in mine. I knew they were surprised to see me, and at the same time happy. I hadn’t been here nor had I seen them in a long time.

They paused at the table before ours and began having a chat with a couple who seemed their age. Again, I gently squeezed Muna’s hand in mine, I wasn’t ready to let go of her. Ever since my mother’s death, she was the only person to easily make me smile and laugh. The only person to trigger a curiosity in me. The only person whose warmth I wanted a share. The only person I wanted to be around without having to force myself.

Coming here tonight had all the memories of the time, I spent here with my mother flooding into my mind. I missed her so much and had avoided coming here because of that. But for some reason, I wanted to be here with Muna.

The first time my mother brought me here, was my freshman year in college and it was the night I stood up to my father in an attempt to protect her. I was tired of seeing him always trying to start up something with her. My mother was a great lawyer, a strong woman on the outside but with my dad, she let him treat her like she wasn’t enough. When in the actual sense she was too good for him, and I hated that for her.

I looked at the woman sitting across me, her beautiful brown eyes staring into mine smiling like an angel. I was beginning to think she was one.

“Take all the time you need, Nicklaus.” She said, staring at me. Her beautiful deep bronze skin shimmered under the dim illumination, and her sparkling teeth contrasted against her pretty face.

“Nick,” David and his wife halted at our table, and I rose to my feet, letting go of Muna’s hand. “It’s good to see you again, Son.” He said, drawing me in for a hug, while his other hand tapped gently on my back. His accent was still as heavy as my father’s, even after decades of their stay in the States.

I broke off from his hug and met Elizabeth’s smiling face, with her arms spread out for me. “Nick,” my name softly rolled off her tongue as I went in for a hug. Her fruity body scent filled my nose giving me comfort. “We missed you, Son,” she said, breaking off from my hug.

Standing side by side, their faces turned to Muna, who was now on her feet gazing at Elizabeth like she was her celebrity crush.

“And who is the lovely lady with you?” Elizabeth asked, smiling at Muna, who immediately mirrored her. “Elizabeth Brown.” She said, extending her hand out at Muna.

“Muna,” Muna shook hands with her. “Nice to meet you. You have such a lovely voice.”

“Thank you,” Elizabeth smiled. After they shook hands, she turned to her husband. “This is my husband, David.” She said, and David shook hands with Muna, while Elizabeth cast me a knowing glance.

“Are you Nick’s girlfriend?” She asked as her eyes shifted back to Muna, with a soft smile on her beautiful face.

Sometimes I wondered how she fell for David. Don’t get me wrong. David was a good-looking man but Liz? She was on a whole other level, and even David knew he was a lucky man to have her because Liz was beautiful inside and out. I cleared my throat, moving closer to stand by Muna’s side.