024- Wanting him

This chapter is dedicated to
ninalexi4

Muna

I clung my knees to my chest and holding my phone to my face, I listened to my mom tell me about some of my cousins back home.

One of them recently graduated from university, and the other one got married. Mom was sad because she wasn’t able to attend any of the events. She was telling me how much she missed our family but for some reason, she was grinning while telling me all of it.

Why are you not saying anything, Munachimso? Are you okay?” She asked and took a sip from the wine she was holding. My mother rarely called me by my name but whenever she did, she did go all the way.

“I don’t know, what do you want me to say?” I glanced at the large window wall, noticing the already darkening sky.

“I don’t know, ask me how your cousins are doing. You didn’t even ask about Chizzy, your favourite.”

“I do talk to her, Mom. More than you think.”

The truth was, I was still down in the spirit because of everything that happened the other day. I had locked myself in my apartment all day, overthinking.

Nicklaus and I talked last night, and his eyes went wild with anger when I told him what happened to my mom. But he insisted on me going to the police, which I wasn’t mad about because he was right. He assured me that everything would be okay and asked that I go to bed which I did. But I was scared, so I asked him to stay and he did. He spent his night on the couch and left for work this morning.

“And you, why are you so happy, Mom? You don’t sound like you miss your family.” I asked, and the grin on her face grew even bigger.

“Well, I have a surprise for you, a big one and I know you’re going to love it.” she walked away from her laptop and a few seconds later, she came back with her phone and sat back down.

She was typing away on her phone, smiling.

“Mom,” I called out to her and she shifted her attention to me. “What is it? What’s the surprise? Are you getting married?” I fired questions upon questions.

What? No.” She laughed. “You’re going to find out soon.” She stared at me for a few seconds, “Are you sure you’re okay, honey.”

I am,” I said. “Don’t worry Mom, I’m fine.”

The truth was, I didn’t know how I was feeling, but there was no way I would tell my mom any of the things happening in my life right now. I needed to sort it out myself, and not take away the beautiful smile on her face.

Her face beamed with a smile, “If you say so, I have something to do now. Talk to you later.”

“Bye Mom.”

“I love you, baby.”

“Love you too.”

When her face disappeared from my phone screen, a sigh escaped me. I wish she was here with me.

Climbing out of my bed, I pushed the braids falling to my face out of it. I walked out of my bedroom but before I could get to the kitchen, there was a knock on the door. I knew it was Nicklaus because he texted me a few minutes ago, asking if he could get me anything since he was leaving work. I told him I needed nothing because not only had I had dinner, I forced myself to eat the same dinner. I hadn’t really been hungry, it was as if my appetite had gone into exile.