012- Peace lily

Muna

My mom always said that I needed to learn how to let go, and not overthink everything people think or say about me. I kind of agree with her, but trust me, it was hard to let go sometimes especially when it was said to one’s face.

I was aware that not everyone would like me, but if I was going to be friends with the boys, I needed to clear the air with Julia. And that was why, I was headed to Julia’s to have a heartfelt conversation. But accompanying me there, was the thought of the events from the day before.

I enjoyed hanging out with Nicklaus and Andrew. I enjoyed the time I spent with Nicklaus at the Jazz bar. Moving to New York wasn’t a bad idea after all, and Nicklaus wasn’t such a horrible person either. He had been nice and kind, and it was cool that we were friends now.

Two things were apparent though, he loved his mother so much and he still missed her. So, I offered him my company, inviting him for dinner but he decided to be cocky instead.

My lips twitched in a smile as I thought about his reply to my invite, but pushing the door to Julia’s coffee shop open, had me focusing back to the present. I sauntered to the coffee counter, which surprisingly didn’t have anybody waiting at the moment. My light blue flowing short sundress relaxed on my body as I halted at the counter. And a smile played on my lips for the brunette barista across from it.

“Good morning,” I said, my eyes roaming behind in search of her boss.

“Good morning,” She returned, her face beaming with a smile. If it was fake it never showed, she must have mastered how to perfectly smile for customers.

“Iced vanilla latte, decaf,” I said.

A text beeped on my phone and I cast my glance down at my hand.

“Got it.”

Unknown: Muna it’s Carl. I know you’re in NYC. I just wanna talk, so give me a chance.

My heart clenched as my eyes darted through the text sent by Carl. I had blocked his number, so I wondered if he got a new one just to text me. He made it clear that he didn’t give a fuck about me finding out he had been sleeping with Amelia, way before I walked in on them. So why did he want to talk now? What was he going to say?

I was sure he didn’t want to get back together, of course, he was smart enough to know it was impossible.

“Here,” I heard the brunette say and I whipped my face up to her.

After making my payment, my eyes darted around in search of Julia. She was the reason I was here. I was about to ask the brunette when she walked out from the door behind her, with a tray of cupcakes in her hand. The toppings ranged from melted chocolates to creams, strawberries and many other sweet things. Now, I knew why it smelt really nice when I walked in earlier. On top of her loose-fit black jumpsuit, she had on a white apron with a cute bunny design and her curls were tied together with a white scarf.

She walked to the glass showcase already filled with delicious-looking cupcakes. When our eyes met, she held my gaze for a few seconds before giving me a tight lips smile.

I inched closer to her, “Hey,” I smiled.

“Hi, Mary.” She said before crouching down to place each cupcake where it belonged.

Mia on Saturday, Mary today. Okay.

“It’s Muna,” I said.

She glanced at me. “Oh, I’m sorry. I’m not good with names.” She chuckled lightly.