013- The comments

Muna

“Girl, start spilling right now,” Maya’s grinning face stared back at me on Facetime. “Tell me everything. Right from his name to what his dick tastes like in that mouth of yours.”

Puzzled, I shifted in my floor cushion and crossed my legs in an easy yoga pose. “What is it right now?” I chuckled and leaning into the desk, I placed my phone against my laptop and rested my arms on the desk.

“Oh, so now you want to act like you don’t know what I’m talking about, yeah?” She grinned plopping down on her bed and then, positioned her back on the headboard.

“Babe, where is my phone at?” I heard Andrea say. “Is that Muna on the phone?” He asked.

“Yes, Drea. How are you?” I asked, grinning as though he could see me. I missed them so much.

“I’m good and you? How is it over there?”

“Good–”

“Babe, your phone is in the bathroom and I will appreciate it if you don’t come in here, asking for anything in like thirty minutes. I need to talk to my best friend.” Maya said, throwing him a wink.

Maya and Andrea had been in a healthy and happy relationship for like four years now, and not only did they live together, but they both worked in health care. My face was still etched with a smile, as I watched Maya drive her boyfriend away, before focusing her attention back on me.

“Girl, start talking right now.” This time she wiggled her phone in my face. “Not like you didn’t send me this picture yourself.”

I gasped, facepalming myself as I stared at the picture on her phone screen. How did I end up sending a selfie of me and Nicklaus, and not the actual text? “Fuck,” I grumbled.

“You guys already fucked?” Maya teased, wide-eyed.

“Stop it,” I said, pouting.

“Baby that man is fine as fuck and I need you to tell me who the hell he is. Why was he staring at you in the photo like his world revolves around you? It’s been what? Two weeks? And a few days. Not only did you move on from that son of a bitch, you got yourself a brand new man.”

I went from pressing my lips together to gaping and murmuring ‘Oh my God,’ as Maya blabbed on in a sing-song tone. Of all the pictures, why was it that one? Yesterday, I didn’t know what got over me. I just had a sudden urge to take a selfie of us. I loved taking pictures, every one of my friends knew, including Maya but look where that had gotten me.

“You were not supposed to see that–” I started.

“Oh,” Maya said, taken aback.

“No, I mean, the picture means absolutely nothing and Nicklaus is just a new friend, and he lives in this building.”

“So his name is Nicklaus, nice name and when will y’all start fucking? Or are y’all doing it the right way? Like going on a date and falling in love? Of course, that’s how you’ve always loved to do it.” She continued talking and she was right.

I had always liked— having an interest in someone first, going on a date, then getting to know each other before making it exclusive, and the rest of them. I never did friend with benefit or casual sex. To me, they all sounded like many ways to get attached and get your heart hurt. But for Nicklaus, he was just a friend and I was on a healing journey.

“I think you missed the part where I said he is just a friend,” I said and Maya chuckled.

“I didn’t miss the part where you said he lives in the same building as you. Who knows, he might probably be there right now.” She said, drawing her face closer to the camera and I chuckled. “And who the hell looks at their friends that way.”