Chapter 10 - Bonfire night

***MATURE CONTENT AHEAD***

Evelyn's POV 

---Almost two months later---

The nights were warm and every second we spent together wasn't far from bliss. We had beach days, night swims, and small picnics on the sand. Summer was almost over and with that came a dreadful feeling I kept pushing away. After my birthday party, Ashton and I agreed to talk with our friends and mend what we could. That's something I admired about him; he was incredibly forgiving. Jax had apologized to Ashton and me the night after my party at the bonfire, pleading that he was so wasted he barely remembered what he had said. 

Ashton and he had hugged it out and exchanged a few words and that was the end of that, at least for now. I could tell Ashton was careful to not leave me alone with Jax and he was never like that before the night Jax had yelled that half-hearted drunk confession. I had spoken to Sophie and realized she had every right to feel like she couldn't tell me about the night Jax saved my life because I did end up spiraling the night I found out. Ashton didn't tell anybody about what I had done, and I kept it to myself as well, we didn't want to worry anybody. Plus, there was no need to make my emotional breakdown known because it wouldn't happen again. I wouldn't let it.

I was taking a swim in the pool before everyone got here for the bonfire tonight. Nicky was coming so I was happy that she was finally coming around more and hanging out with the girls and me. I feel a strong pair of hands snake up from behind me gripping my waist, I laugh turning around. 

"Hi," I say grinning. His eyes are like pools of honey. 

"Hey, baby," Ashton whispers, planting a kiss on my lips. 

My parents had gone on a trip, so it was just my brother and I home alone for two days now which meant Ashton was staying over A LOT more, and Sadie. I heard the door slam pretty loudly last night and Sadie wasn't here this morning, so I wondered if everything was okay between them. Ashton had asked me to be his girlfriend almost two months ago now, so I was in girlfriend heaven. 

"I'm going to go back over to my house to shower and change and then come right back, okay?" He says leaning on the edge of the pool. I float around for a second just admiring his body. 

"Alright well, I'll be waiting. I think I'm going to check up on Sadie, make sure she's okay, and tell Gianna and Sophie to come over." I say now floating on my back. 

"Yeah, that door slam didn't sound too good." He says jumping back in the pool and kissing me goodbye.

 I wondered what was going on with my brother and Sadie, this was the only thing that scared me about them being together. I didn't want their relationship to affect our friendship, what if she doesn't want to come around as much just to avoid him when they're fighting?

I start walking up the pool steps looking at the horizon beside me. The waves crashing, the beauty of the ocean, and the reflection of the sun on the aquamarine, crystal-like water. I had gotten so much tanner over this summer, which of course was expected. My freckled face was sunburned from all the time I spent near the ocean. 

I reach over to the rose-gold colored case where my cigarettes are. I inspected the square-shaped case, running a manicured finger over the intricate details on it. Remembering the night of my birthday, a shudder ran through my body at the thought of my childish outburst. I take a cigarette out and put it between my lips grabbing my lighter from the purse I had outside. I inhale and close my eyes as I blow out the smoke slowly, letting my face soak up the sunlight as I look up.