Chapter 27 - Hardheaded

Evelyn's POV 

The door slams shut behind me and I take a deep breath since my heart decided it wanted to start malfunctioning. Jax is standing by his suitcase shirtless in his boxers and my eyes scan over his gorgeous torso before urging myself to pretend like I'm looking for something in my purse. Maya is one lucky girl, ugh. 

I can tell he's putting on his sweatpants from my peripheral vision, along with a black sleeveless shirt. What the hell am I even looking for? I shut my purse and closed my eyes for a moment to gather myself, I would get stuck with this beautiful man in this beautiful bed. I take a chance and glance at him again not being able to help myself and my breath gets caught in my throat when I do. 

"Are you done acting like a brat?" Jax's eyes burned as he walked closer to the bed.

I scoffed, glaring at him. I throw my purse on the bed and ignore him, getting ready to walk past him and right into the bathroom until he grabs my arm. 

"Jax, what the hell do you want?" I blared angrily. His pupils flared as he observed me. Maybe I was being over-dramatic but why did he keep bugging me if he was busy texting Maya? He unwrapped his hand from around my arm and looked at the floor as he let go, taking a minute to drop his hand afterward. 

"Fuck that." I hear him mutter under his breath as I'm about to step into the bathroom, he grabs me once again, this time turning me around completely, making me face him.  

"Woah, be careful Maya might not appreciate you gripping me up like this," I say vexingly. He scowls at me and presses his lips into a thin line. Then, he does something that confuses me. He starts laughing

Jax lets go of me again, so I take this moment while he's hunched over laughing to kick off my shoes. I frown at him; did that tamarind juice he was drinking have alcohol in it or something? I stand up straight with my hands on my hips, frowning at him with one eyebrow raised. 

"Are you drunk?" I ask.  

He stands up straight now, fixing his posture. The corners of his eyes crease, I try not to smile because his laughter is contagious. He exhales and scans my body from head to toe causing me to cross my arms over my chest and avoid his gaze. 

"You seem really bothered about the whole Maya thing." He accuses, squinting his eyes at me as he takes a couple of steps closer. 

I almost stumble over his suitcase but catch myself before completely falling over, my cheeks burning red. I swallow the excess of saliva in my throat and clench my jaw uncrossing my arms, fearful that he could read my body language. He's a couple of feet away from me but three steps closer and he'll be inches away. 

He takes one step closer. 

"Are you jealous?" He questions. I roll my eyes, flustered. 

"You wish. I just don't think it's polite to be texting her the entire dinner." I say, crossing my arms once again.

He takes a second step closer. 

"I think you are jealous; it's written all over your attitude. I wasn't texting her at dinner, but even if I was... What's it to you?" He smirks.

"You're right it's none of my business," I say flatly, taking a step back. 

He takes the third step, and even though I take a step back, the proximity causes me to trip over my own feet, but he grabs me before I can fall. 

"You're being really clumsy tonight, what's up with you?" He asks, an amused expression on his face. At this point, I'm embarrassed and extremely flustered. His mischievous brown eyes provoking me. I don't know what he's playing at, but I've had enough of the games, we both know they never end in our favor.