Chapter 23 - Unknown

---Two months later---

Evelyn's POV

It was Jax's birthday, and the girls were throwing him a surprise birthday party tonight, so of course I was the one that had to distract him throughout the day. The days were long, knowing I had chosen to stay away from Ashton even though I could've gotten him back that day. The days dragged by for the most part. Every time I think about the night, I had both of them to myself, God it was good, it was so good. But that's all it was a good time, a reckless one. 

*You can't have them both*-Unknown

*Who is this? *-Evelyn

*Your worst nightmare*-Unknown

*Bring it on then. *-Evelyn

When I answered those strange text messages, I was already so emotionally wasted that I didn't care who the fuck was behind the 'nightmare.' They wanted trouble, I'll give them all of it.

"You good?" Jax asked as we walked past one of his favorite stores in the town square. I turn to look at him and give him a small smile. 

"Well, if you must know. Someone had texted me two months ago that they were my worst nightmare and that I couldn't have you and Ashton. I told them to get on with it, they still text me here and there with empty threats, but I'm not worried about it." I explain.

Jax looks at me, eyebrows raised and questioning. 

"God, people have no fucking lives," Jax utters. 

I nod my head and continue walking past the stores with him. It was a clear and breathtaking day, everything we wanted was there in the palm of our hands. I felt good, I felt like the day was full of possibility. We walked through the town square and started heading back home around 5 pm. 

- - - 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAX!" Everyone screamed, Jax had been so surprised or at least feigned it very well. I wasn't in the mood for a party, but he deserved to have a good time. We sang happy birthday to him and proceeded to dance the night away and eat all the yummy junk food, there were people I knew in my house for the gathering and people I had never seen in my life.

I had seen Ashton from the corner of my eye singing along and then toasting to Jax. He seemed happy, he seemed composed, and as if he was having a great time. I on the other hand was doing my best to avoid him every chance I got. I didn't know how to act around him anymore, I couldn't be in his presence without wanting more from him. The night between Ashton, Jax and I just made things worse for me.

I was outside of my house in the pool area when I heard Cody's voice behind me. 

"You enjoying the birthday?" Cody asks. I turn to face him and can see everyone inside the house through the large windows of my living room and the clear, glass double doors. I smile at him gently, cigarette in hand. 

"I am, I'm glad everyone's enjoying themselves. What's up?" I asked him, Cody was always kind and sweet. He was one of those guys who threw parties because he was expected to and wanted everyone to have a good time. And well I was like that too, I guess.  

"I just wanted to check up on you, I know this year has been pretty hectic for you." He says as he stands in front of me, by the pool that is glowing blue and purple. Cody has a glass in his hand, and he tells to do a toast with him. 

"What would you like to toast to?" I ask, feeling rather sleepy right now. I went to bed incredibly late last night texting Jax and Sophie about the trip I want to take to Spain, simply for the food.