Chapter 11 - Damages

Playlist for the party: Montell fish-Hotel// Camilla Cabello- Shameless Slowed Version// Lily-Rose Depp and The Weeknd- Fill the Void// Chase Atlantic- Swim //Two Feet- Feel Like I'm Drowning// Chase Atlantic- Into It//

JAX'S POV 

Evelyn and Ashton were inseparable, after I had made a fool out of myself the night of her birthday party there was always this weird tension between Ashton and I now. I came around when they weren't alone to let him know I still had his back no matter what, at the end of the day he's the closest thing I had to a brother, I grew up with him. Nothing was going to change that. 

The night of her birthday I wasn't as drunk as I told Ashton and Evelyn I was. But if he knew that it would've been a fist fight waiting to happen. When I heard Ayden, Evelyn's brother tell her and Ash that he was staying over at Sadie's house I already knew what could happen after everyone left because I was the one that helped him set up the roses and candles for her. I felt sick to my stomach on the drive home, and I ached with envy, so much so that I ended up sleeping with Sarah that night just to get Evelyn out of my head, to no avail because it didn't fucking work. 

Summer was over and the Fall semester was starting, this wasn't a good thing. It'll soon be a whole year since Ashton's brother passed. Ashton doesn't deal with heartache very well, I guess that's something we both have in common. Yet, I'm the one who made sure he didn't drown himself in alcohol when his brother died. I didn't want to have two dead best friends. My heart ached at the memory, and I sighed. 

"That'll be it for today's class everybody. Please, don't forget to turn in your assignments before midnight tomorrow!" My professor mentioned.

 I rub my face and grab my textbook making my way out into the hallway at school when I hear someone run up from behind me. 

"HELLO, are we all going to the party tonight or what ?!" Evelyn jumps up and down excitedly beside me.

 My mind instantly relaxes, and I get in a better mood seeing that it's her next to me. I give her a small smile, she's the one person who takes me out of my awfully serious facade. Where Evelyn is near, Ashton isn't far, so I tense up a little bit. 

"Ashton wants to go??" I ask her, trying to find out a little more about what the plans are going to consist of tonight.

 We sit at a table together and see Sophie making her way over to us. Sophie was just as beautiful as Evelyn, and I had caught Sophie glancing at me multiple times, even checking me out a couple of times, but she wasn't Evelyn. To be completely honest, I didn't have the energy to pretend I wanted something more with anybody else. Even if I can't have her, I'm going to try to be there as much as possible for her. If that meant going to some stupid party tonight that's fine. 

"Between you and I Ashton's been acting strange lately; he's been so damn distant. It hurts a little, knowing he won't tell me what's going on. I ask and I ask just to make sure and nothing. He's always been so direct with me Jax, so honest. I don't know, I want to go to the party and cheer myself up though so let me know if you'll be there." Evelyn says, pouting a bit. 

Maybe I should tell her? But what if he's waiting to just tell her about the death anniversary himself? Maybe I should just mind my business for now honestly. 

"Hey, don't worry about it. I'm sure he'll talk to you soon. Next thing you know you guys will be riding off into the sunset together again." I say, smiling at her. She gets up and I look after her as she leaves for her next class, her hair looks darker, and longer and the blonde strips on the bottom strands look lighter. Maybe I should tell Ashton how she's feeling so that he does something about the way he's been acting with her. As I tear my gaze away from the back of Evelyn's head, I hear Sophie sit down in front of me taking Evelyn's place.