Chapter 16 - Two truths and a lie

Evelyn's POV

I wore nothing but hoodies and sweatpants for two weeks. I wanted to disappear every time I walked through the school doors. The girls did what they could to make me feel better and the video was off the internet, I'm sure it helped that I looked so different when it had all gone down in the video. Yet, to me, I felt so vulnerable because I knew. 

Regardless life moved forward, and I wasn't going to be the only one stuck in the past. I see Cody make his way up to me while Ashton is getting me a coffee at the college cafe. Cody's ginger hair and light eyes are happier than ever. 

"Bonfire this week??" Cody asks raising his eyebrows. I frowned. 

"How do you know about the bonfires??" I ask him. He grins and shrugs. 

"Damien and Allison told me about them, they sound cool come on!! Can I take a few friends I haven't been to a bonfire in forever and it's freezing out. It'd be sick." Cody begs putting his hands together in front of him. I roll my eyes. 

"Let me talk it over with Ashton alright? It's tradition, I got to make sure." I give him a friendly smile and a pat on the back before making my way over to my gorgeous boyfriend.

When I walk up to him, he hands me my coffee and I smile at him, getting lost as usual in my favorite pair of eyes. But his eyes don't meet mine. 

"What's wrong?" Is the first thing I ask, from what I remember last time I saw him with that expression on his face it nearly tore us apart. That's when I see Sarah and Allison giggling by the little tables to the far left of the cafe. I hold my breath and count to ten. 1....2.....3......

"They made a gossip page, for the college. I don't know who runs it, but it's bad." He says. I scoff, who the fuck cares at this point. 

"Frankly Ashton, I don't care, and if I don't care neither should you. When you give those things attention it just fuels the fire even more. If we ignore it, they get bored and move on to the next thing." I say, annoyed. I place my hand on his arm, but he pulls away and that hurts more than a physical blow could have. 

"Yeah, well look at it first, and then let me know if I have a right to feel the way I do or not." He says with a wounded look in his eyes. Then he just walked away from me, and I couldn't believe that. I see Jax going up to Ashton and Ashton just blatantly ignores him, but not before giving him a death glare. 

"What the hell?!" Jax scoffs, looking at me perplexed. I throw my hands up in the air, removing the hood of my sweater from my head. 

"Some fucking gossip page? What could've gotten him like that? A gossip page out of all the things? As if it was the national news or something." I say, astonished. 

Jax pinches the spot in between his eyebrows with two fingers as he shakes his head. His chocolate, brown eyes were full of worry for his friendship. He pulls out his phone, pulls up his social media, and searches our school's name with the word "gossip" in front of it. Our eyes go wide at the picture that pops up and the caption above it. 

"How the fu-"I start to say but he cuts me off. 

"Your birthday party. How didn't we see someone behind us what the fuck." He asks himself. 

It was a picture of us on the night of my birthday party, I was wearing my navy dress and my black and blue mask and he was wearing his suit and his mask. The problem was in the picture you could see from the side, a man looking like he was caressing a girl in that same blue dress I was wearing that night. It was us and Ashton in the back looking upset. The caption read "Seems like Jax is always there to comfort our girl, Evelyn. And poor Ashton is always too little too late."