Chapter 15 - Consequences

Evelyn's POV

The party was tonight, and I was a wreck of nerves, I was worried for Ashton, Jax, and my brother. The cops had told Ayden, Sophie and I that they were going to take care of it and that Elijah would be expelled and possibly have to move since he would be registered as a sex offender. The amount of relief I had gotten from hearing those words, he deserved that. Of course, I'm sure they would show up at his house on Monday. 

The girls agreed that they should stay over at my house tonight. I started having some regrets, maybe I should've stopped my brother, but deep down I knew there was no stopping what the boys had already chosen to do. The girls sat on my bed with me, attempting to distract me with a romantic comedy playing on my TV. It reminded me of sleepovers we used to have when we were little. 

I did have the best of friends, Gianna brought me a stuffed animal to cuddle with, Sophie brought me my favorite chocolate bars and Sadie got me the coziest, fluffiest pink blanket. I had hugged them so hard. 

- - - 

Ashton's POV

I think of my life now and what it used to be like without her. I get this overwhelming, agonizing pain in my chest whenever I think about not having access to her presence anymore. Being around her is like never having to feel cold or empty ever again. I don't know the meaning of those words around her. Every moment I've experienced in my life must have led up to meeting her, I think fate can be funny and romantic that way, I just pray our paths keep running into one another forever. So, I take it very personally when something is trying to fuck with my happiness, and she is everything that makes me happy. 

I used to think love like this only exists in movies and poetry. If it ever did exist in real life well, it never lasted more than a couple of months before it ended with two people becoming strangers again. I wince at the thought of Evelyn and I going from lovers to strangers. 

- - - 

Night comes fast and so does the anticipation. Anger bubbles up inside my chest like it's ready to claw its way out. I park my car outside of Evelyn's house and hop out. Ayden comes downstairs and Jax is already with me.

"Ready?" Ayden asks, nodding his head in the direction of his car so we can get in. Jax and I look at each other then look back at Ayden. 

"Let's go pay that dickhead a visit," Jax says. 

"I've been ready," I say.

The drive there was quiet until we finally pulled into the driveway. Of course, a bunch of frat boys kind of like the night Evelyn and I had our fight. 

"Are we winging this?" Jax asks. 

"Yes." Ayden and I say at the same time hopping out of the car.

- - - 

We make our way to the backyard, and we spot Elijah, I get tunnel vision as soon as I see him. The anger, the rage, this fucking pervert is going to pay. Jax sees the way I'm looking at him and knows what time it is. Jax and I sneak up from behind him and tackle him to the floor, Ayden throws the first punch.

"You think that shit was funny motherfucker?!" Ayden yells. Elijah starts laughing and that's when I lose it. I jump in and start pounding his face in, he tackles me to the floor and I kick him off me, gaining the upper hand. 

"YOU ARE A FUCKING RAPIST AND IF I EVER SEE YOU ANYWHERE NEAR HER AGAIN," I yelled, punching him continuously until I see blood, my knuckles are bloody, his nose is probably broken by now. Jax throws me off of him and starts kicking Elijah. One of the guys from the party, the one from Cody's party starts running up behind Ayden and tackles him to the floor. Some girls are now screaming around us. Jax punches the guy that tackled Ayden and I take care of Elijah as he hits me back in the face.  

Ayden gets me off of Elijah and grabs him by his shirt, I hear him say "You're getting arrested Monday and if you don't change schools, change towns and tell the cops that word got out and some other guys did this to you, I promise I don't mind going to jail for my sister, you fucking rapist." He spits on him and Jax knocks out the other guy that jumped in. I go up to Elijah as Jax and Ayden are waiting behind me so we can leave. I grab him by the hem of his shirt and give him one last blow to the face.

"If I see you ever again, I promise you it's going to be a lot worse than this. I'll bring more people and you won't end up so lucky." I whisper inches away from his bloody face. He is no longer laughing, so I stand up straight, wipe the blood dripping into my eyes away, and the guys and I start walking back to the car. 

After those series of events, I began to think that people like Elijah deserve much, much worse than that. I was so exhausted, drained from the complete and utter brutality that had just taken place. I'd do it all over again for her. On our way home we were as quiet as we were on our way to the party. The girls were probably sleeping by now so when we got to the house Jax pulled out a cigarette and Ayden and I bummed one off him. We smoked quietly, a hidden bond the three of us shared for the one we all cared for.  

- - - 

After we smoked Jax and I made our way home, Ayden shook our hands, I sensed a newfound respect from him for us. It made me feel good, but nothing felt better than getting revenge for what Elijah did. I know we're supposed to leave that up to God, and I pray he forgives me for taking matters into my own hands, but I was blinded with rage.

I make my way to the kitchen to get a water bottle and I see Jax standing there holding his side. 

"You okay man?" I ask, concerned. He looks up at me his eyebrows almost touching. 

"I probably would've killed him if you guys hadn't been there. I'm a little sore but I think your face looks worse than mine." He chuckles. I grin at that. 

"You wish. And yeah, I think we all held each other back. Let's get some sleep, oh, and you and Sophie? I peeped that." I say, taking a huge gulp from the water bottle I had grabbed. But when I said that his facial expression changed to a more serious one. A piece of me wonders if what I heard him say at Evelyn's birthday still lingered in his brain, or if it was just a drunken thing, he said at the moment like he had declared.

"I'm not looking for anything serious right now Ash, plus I wouldn't want to hurt her just because I'm not ready for something that she is." He sighs. He gives me a pat on the back and makes his way to his room. I clenched my jaw because that felt like a low blow. I need to take a shower.

As I step onto the cold tile with my bare feet. I feel the warm water fall onto my skin and I wince at the cut above my forehead. I start thinking about Evelyn and wonder how many people must have seen that video from our school. If I see anyone weirdly looking at her, if I see anyone laugh, I'm the one that's going to be embarrassing them. 

- - - 

Jax's POV

God this asshole must have punched me in the ribs or something because I am so damn sore. It was all worth it though, the second I saw that video I felt my pulse quicken, any other asshole would've stayed watching it. As soon as I realized that it was Evelyn and she had barely anything on I felt the bile creep up my throat. What kind of sick bastard would do that to someone while they're not even conscience? Sick piece of shit deserved everything he got tonight. 

When Ashton asked me about Sophie, I tried hiding my irritation the best I could. Sophie was beautiful and strong and a girl that any man would be lucky to have. I just can't wrap my head around why I feel the way I feel around Evelyn, the way she looks at Ashton, the way she loves. Her freckles resemble the scattered stars, and her eyes resemble the ocean and a field of daisies all at the same time. I need to get the fuck over it.