Chapter 26 - Mixed Feelings.

Ashton's POV

This has to be the universe serving my karma on a silver platter because there is no fucking way.  I would much rather sleep with Evelyn in any room, even if it means in two separate beds. How the hell did this even happen? I'll never get over how badly I obliterated the good thing I had with her. I let all the unhealed parts of me ruin what we had; she forgave me once. I should've known she had too much self-respect to forgive me a second time. I never doubted her self-respect, I doubted my fucking self, and in the process, I lost her. 

I was lucky to even be back in her presence as a friend, but I didn't want her to be my friend I wanted her to be mine. Watching her detox with only Valium and Tylenol was rough, even for me. It reminded me of my brother, his name was Chase. She was strong enough to do what he couldn't, and I hate thinking about it that way but at least he isn't hurting anymore. He left me broken, and that's my fault for not seeking help afterward. 

Gianna was snoring on the bed closest to the room door and my mind was racing. God, I was going to go crazy in here tonight, thinking about what they could be doing when I'm in here and Jax and Evelyn are in there. I had heard her call Jax over when she was standing on the balcony and saw a monkey, I know this because my balcony was right next to theirs. I literally saw the same monkey; it was a really cute monkey. 

I need to take a nap before we go out.

- - - 

Evelyn's POV

Jax woke me up with a gentle shake to my shoulder, when my eyes fluttered open the first thing, I saw was his wet hair and his lonely dimple. He told me it was around 5 pm and that Gianna and Ashton were ready, so they were waiting on me. 

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier?!" I raced to my suitcase since we hadn't even unpacked yet and proceeded to look for an outfit. Jax just stood there with an amused smile on his face, that was sexier than it should be. I shake my head at my train of thought. 

"You seemed like you were sleeping so good, it's fine just throw anything on, and let's go." 

I gape at him; does he not know anything about girl world? I looked for a dress in my suitcase and ended up finding a strapless, green mini-dress that looked as if it had been knitted. Yes, these are the vibes I'm going for. The dress just looked like some cute, island wear. I open my other suitcase which is solely for my shoes and jewelry. I pick out some pumps and a pair of dangly green earrings. I grab the dress, the pumps, earrings, and my makeup bag and dash to the bathroom. 

I take a ten-minute shower and jump out. I put some concealer on, mascara, and clear lip-gloss. I then put on my earrings, the strapless dress, and my pumps. I don't even bother doing my hair, so I end up doing a high-pony tail which is cute because it shows off my earrings. Because the dress is a yarn-like material it's soft on my skin and comfortable, it ends right about my knee. 

I realize Jax left his phone in here, so I grab it to go ahead and give it to him, then it vibrates, announcing he got a text message. I looked down at it, not trying to be nosy but it was more of a reflex. 

*I'm so glad you texted! How's the trip?? Better than philosophy class I'm sure lol*-Maya 

I feel my high spirits fall and an unpleasant emotion creep into my chest. Whatever. I walk out of the bathroom and Jax's eyes scan over my body and then my face, making me a little self-conscious. I extend my hand out to him and pass him his phone waiting for him to grab it.