chapter two

Time flew by fast after that. It was already the first game of the season, and the girls were getting ready to cheer at the game. Brooke and Allie stood in the center of the cheerleaders with their poms poms in hands and leading cheers.

Lucas was playing horribly, which ultimately lead to Coach Whitey benching him for the rest of the game. As she watched Whitey scold Lucas, she groaned in frustration. Peyton stared at her co-captain and shook her head. "Don't worry, it's just not his night." Allie smiled towards her and turned back to watch the game.

-

Before Lucas could leave school, Allie caught up with him. "Hey there champ." Lucas softly laughs and wraps his arm around her shoulder. "Hey Allie." "Feeling better?" She asks him while holding his hand that was wrapped around her. He nods his head, "Yeah, much better."

"Wanna come over tonight? Just talk." She asks the blonde guy while looking up at him. Lucas stops walking for a second before nodding his head. "Yeah, sounds good." Allie smiles and continues walking with Lucas to her car.

"We should invite Haley." She suggests while getting in the driver's seat. "Nah, she's working tonight." Lucas replies back.

Unbeknownst to the both of them, Nathan was watching their whole interaction. He could feel a sense of agitation flowing through his body. He clenches his teeth watching them both walk off.

"Hey." Peyton says to him and places her hand on his arm. "You ready?" She asks him with a frown. "Yeah. Let's go." He replies shortly and walks off without her. She sighs with a nod of her head and follows after him.

-

"Ada! I'm home!" Allie calls out to the older woman. "In the kitchen!" She hears and signals for Lucas to follow her.

Ada was standing by the stove, finishing dinner for the both of them. Allie softly smiles before walking up to her and wrapping her arms around the older woman. "Brought a guest." She says to her, which causes Ada to turn around.

"Oh, hello." She says to Lucas who lets out an awkward smile. "I won't be staying long." He says to her. Ada shakes her head no, "Don't be silly, it's late. Spend the night. It's Friday anyways." Ada concludes and Lucas nods his head.

"Go get ready for dinner." She says to the teenagers. Allie nods and grabs Lucas's wrist to lead him to her room. "That's Ada?" He asks the shorter girl.

"Yeah." She says shortly.

Allie walks into her bathroom to change her clothes and walks back out, seeing Lucas on her bed. "What's going on in that head of yours, Scott?" Allie asks and sits right next to him.

"So, Peyton and Nathan huh?" He asks her and she slowly nods her head yes at him. "He's an asshole though. Treats her like shit." She explains to him.

"Well, we can agree on that." Lucas says, causing the two of them to laugh. Before any more words were spoken, there was a knock on the door. "Allie, Lucas! Dinner's ready!"

The two teenagers walked downstairs to have dinner. The atmosphere was awkward at first but Ada got Lucas to open a bit.

After dinner, Lucas and Allie went back up to her room. "She's nice." Lucas says to her. "Yeah, Ada's the best." She says and gets under her covers. "What's wrong?" He asks her and sits next to her.

Allie could feel the tears about to fall but she wouldn't let them. "Ada has uh- stage four lung cancer. The doctors said she may only have a few months to live." She opens up to him. Lucas sighs and looks at the girl next to him.

"I'm sorry." He says to her and wraps his arm around her. "How long has it been since the doctor's said that?" Allie sniffles, "About 2 months ago. She says that she could feel her life slowly slip away. She doesn't know when it's going to happen, but we both know it's soon, very soon."