Chapter 2: Trap

Riley has long been dormant after our first transformation when I clocked 18.

Since then, she hasn't resurfaced. So, yes, I am surprised that she spoke up. And I'm sure there's no way she would be mistaken about this.

But how could the moon goddess pair me with someone who already has a mate? I mean not a fated mate. Everyone knows Alpha Xavier married his chosen mate and not a fated one.

As rumour would have it, they'd been together for a long time, before Xavier even became the Alpha king.

But must it be Alpha Xavier? He was my father's worst enemy, and now mine.

What kind of trap have I gotten myself into?

A shiver took all over my body at the thought of it.

Alpha Xavier hesitates for what seems like an eternity. I could feel the pull of the mate bond between us within these minutes of silence. I mean that was normal. The mate bond was stronger than anything in the world.

“Who are you?” His thick voice sounds like thunder to my ears.

“Autumn Brooker,” I responded in my best voice.

He moves closer, giving me the chance to give him a deep scrutiny. He was tall, at least 6 ft because I felt very small in front of him.

He's thick, and with broad shoulders and I'm sure there are some abs underneath that fur cardigan he's wearing.

He has square cheekbones that fit perfectly under those eyes that felt like they were boring into my soul.

He was intimidating, fearsome and it felt like he was going to swallow me alive. The stubble of hair on his face made him look even more handsome, yet so scary.

“Anthony's daughter?” His voice was rough. He stops before me briefly, before he moves to my back.

I nod quickly. “Yes, Alpha. I assure you that_” I start, only to be cut off by his scary voice.

“You speak when you are being asked!” He yells in a deep and scary voice and I can hear some hint of hatred in his voice. “Where’s my mate!” His voice increases suddenly and I jump up.

I swallow hard on my dry throat. “I have no idea. The Moon-like pack is innocent, I have never seen your_”

I was forced to a sudden stop as Alpha Xavier hit me on the cheek. My vision blurred and I fought to keep my stand.

“The last warning, Autumn. You don't talk when I'm talking. You don't speak until you are asked to!” He roars and the ground shakes underneath us.

I fight the tears that threaten to slip from under my natural long lashes. I can't believe this is happening to me.

“And why? Just why are you like her?” His voice softens for a few minutes as he walks to stand in front of me again. Yet, he has a dark frown on his face. “Who are you really?”

Your mate! Our mate, my wolf, said again but I had no courage to say it out loud.

I mean Xavier knew who I was. There's no way he wouldn't have felt the pull of the mate bond.

“You are not my mate!” He mutters thickly as if trying to convince himself instead of me. “Why?” He stops suddenly, as if in deep thought. His eyes were fierce. So, I look away quickly.

He takes a step closer and suddenly grabs my breast.

Blood rushes into it, followed by an electric shock that seems to course through my body.

“Fuck!” He curses and withdraws as if I burned him. “Same size though,” he notes darkly.

“I told you,” Rick voices out.

Xavier nodded once, and I could still feel his eyes on me but I couldn't meet them.

“Now, here's it. Gwen’s parents are coming here in three days. Rick will tell you all you are to do. Her parents must not see the difference between you and Gwen.”

I look up at him quickly. “You want me to pretend to be Gwen?”

“You heard that quite right.”

I couldn't believe it. Why would I pretend to be Gwen? Everything was confusing.

“I have no idea where your mate is. My parents are innocent. The pack is innocent,” I cry.

The dark frown on his face makes him look very scary. I have never seen anyone look so demonic like him. No wonder people fear him.

“I wasn't asking for an opinion. And I'm only going to give you the grace of five days to tell me where Gwen is or I will make sure I wipe your existence off this world!” He threatens.

My heart shatters into millions of pieces.

Alpha Xavier looks at Rick. “Take her away and fill her in on all she needs to know.”

I look at him quickly. “But_ but_”

I started but the words refused to leave my lips. I seriously wanted to tell him I was his mate. Would he seriously kill his fated mate because of his chosen mate?

I swallow hard and force it out eventually. “I'm your mate. Would you seriously kill your mate?”

He clenches his teeth and fills the little space in between us. We were so close now, so close he only needed to tilt his head down a bit and our lips would touch.

He gently moves his mouth to my left ear, the action leaving a sensational feeling in my heart.

“Mine?” He smirks. “You are not my mate, Autumn even though the moon goddess said so. I don't believe in her and the only thing stopping me from snapping your neck right now is because of Gwen's parents. So, never see yourself as one, never! Because you will never be one,” His voice goes deeper and I swallow hard at the end of each statement, his words seeming like blows to my face.

The tears threaten to break loose. I was going to get rejected by my mate even before I had the chance to unleash my silver wolf and be the most powerful she-wolf the world has ever known.

No, he would eventually kill me because I have no idea where his chosen mate is.