Chapter 17: Hidden Truth

Xavier

I felt Autumn's eyes on me and knew it was her way of complaining but I knew what I was doing.

Rick bows slightly and walks away quickly.

I was still holding Autumn and it was the only thing stopping me from going crazy at this moment. It felt like I was holding my Gwen.

“B_but Alpha,” she started when I seemed not to acknowledge her hesitation.

“Be careful, they are still watching,” I warn her annoyingly.

She didn't say anything again. Instead, she nodded.

When we stepped out of the building, Rick was already standing with two horses.

“They are ready, Alpha.”

I didn't answer and kept moving towards him.

I stop just a few feet away from one of the horses.

“The three of us are riding. I and Gwen will ride on one. You should take the second one,” I ordered Rick, and didn't wait for him to reply before I climbed on the horse. I look down at Autumn.

Her head was bowed, perhaps in fear or she was only lost was something I couldn't guess.

“Let's go,” I mutter and reach out to her.

She regards my hand for some seconds. Again, she was making me wait. But I wasn't angry this time.

Maybe frustrated, but not angry.

She took it eventually and I helped her up and made sure she was comfortable before I rode out of the pack house.

I felt Rick riding behind me before I kicked the horse harder so it could go faster.

We rode for a moment before I pulled over in front of a rather deserted place.

I got down and helped Autumn down as well.

“Follow me,” I order.

Autumn didn't talk and complied instead.

We entered the ruined city. There were half-built houses here and there. There were also damaged buildings. It was evidence that people had lived here before.

“Are you the only child?”

She was perusing the whole place. And there was no flash of recognition on her face, something to show she had been here before.

Instead, I saw fear evidence in his eyes. Does she think I'm here to kill her?

I would have done that a long time ago if I wanted to.

She nods briefly. “I am.”

“Then your parent doesn't value your life.”

She looked up, and her brown eyes widened. It felt like she was about to read my soul so I moved away.

Like I said, there's something about Autumn that bothers me, aside from the fact that she's my mate.

Damn! Would I forget that?

“Yes, they do.”

“Good, then you must have been here.”

Her gaze searches around quickly. “What's this place?”

I scoff. “Are you asking me that? And you think your parent loves you?”

She gathered her forehead and looked at me. “I_” she started but didn't continue.

“Well, if they do. Then, they wouldn't hide this place from you.”

Confusion marred her face. “I don't understand what you are talking about, Alpha. What's this place?”

I held her gaze for a moment. “It's called ‘the magic town’. It's your mother's hometown,” I explain briefly.

Her gaze searches around again. “How?”

I couldn't help the laughter.

“How can you be the beloved? When you don't know that your mother is a witch.”

“What?”

I move closer to her. “You have just three days to convince your father where my Luna is and I will let you live. But you also have three days to find my Luna or I promise that no one from the Moon-like pack will live,” I mutter in a thick voice, making sure I was bringing out that effect that I wanted from her.

She took a step background, and I could easily sense her fear.

“M_my mom is a witch?”

I don't know if I'm supposed to believe her actually that she has nothing to do with my Luna, that it was only her parents in this.

But I needed her to talk to her parents. I needed to hear everything. Then, I will know what is really happening.

Rick rushes inside, his eyes widened in shock. He hesitates and his gaze searches around quickly. When it rested on Autumn, I felt him release a sigh.

He has to be kidding me.

“Get Autumn back to the pack house and make sure she resumes her training. Tomorrow is the day,” I mutter and walk away without waiting for a reply.

I climbed on the horse and rode deeper into the forest.

The Alpha King is equipped with a lot of qualities. We are not only stronger than the other Alphas, we are equipped with a strong sense of smell but why can't I scent Gwen?

Suddenly, a familiar scent hit me. It went around me, toiling with me for a moment before realisation dawned on me.

My mate!

I pulled the horse to a stop and turned it around.

I hesitate briefly and try to track it. The scent gave me a new direction, not where I was coming from or where I was going.

I followed it, my heartbeat accelerating.

The more I move, the more the scent hovers over me. I could feel her fear, her anxiety. Is she running? Is she being chased?

Anxiety took over me as well and I swore mentally to kill anyone that has threatened or is threatening her life.

I found her at last! But wait a minute!

“Autumn! Wait!” Rick yells in frustration as he finally catches up with her. “Stop running!” He yells again.

Autumn was breathing heavily. I could hear her, feel her like she was in me.

“Let me go please!” She shivered. “I have no idea where Gwen is! I have never seen her in my entire life! I didn't even know I looked like her!” She yelled out in frustration.

I force the horse to a halt. I was not only shocked but also bewildered.

What just happened?

“You can't go anywhere! If you leave now, you will not only die, your parents will, and your pack will.”

“But is there a way I won't die? Unless I find the Luna! How can I find the Luna when I'm always locked in the pack house? The Alpha King threatens me every day!” She yelled again, and tears streamed down her face. “Should I just die? And forget this cruel world?”

I could easily feel her emotions now.

But that wasn't the shocking thing here. How come Autumn's scent is similar to Gwen's?