Chapter 5: Mystery

Xavier pov

A fated mate?

To say I have a lot of things going through my mind at this moment is an understatement. My mind feels clouded.

The door opens suddenly and Rick steps in.

“Your mate?” Rick’s voice was laced with shock.

I swallow like I didn't care. But maybe I don't but I couldn't ignore the mate bond. “Yes.”

Well, I felt the mate bond the moment our gaze locked. There was no way I wouldn't have. After all, it was my first time having such an experience.

But a mate? After ten years? The moon goddess must be kidding.

And damn! Who would have thought it would be like that? I had to restrain myself from following them.

Well, for two major reasons.

I don't believe in the moon goddess in the first place. This was why I wasn't bothered when I couldn't find my fated mate. I merely thought the moon goddess was so angry at me that she didn't give me one.

And secondly, her pack kidnapped my mate. I can never be with someone like her.

“But will you treat her as such if she's really your mate?”

I look at him with a blank expression. “Does it look like I care?”

Rick stares at me in shock. “But_” he starts but I cut him off.

“The only mate I have ever had and known is Gwen. And now that she's missing, we need to do all we can to get her back. I have no other mate. I don't even believe in the moon goddess.”

“Are you going to reject her then?”

“Yes, I will when it's time. I need her now. You know how it is,” I said in a voice that left no room for another conversation.

I didn't need to think much about it. Gwen is the woman I love. I only need Autumn for the time being. So, yes, I'm finally going to reject her.

But I can't afford to reject her now and shatter my hope of preventing a war.

I move towards the table where a map is spread all over it.

“Rowan doesn't even like me in the first place. He would use this opportunity to start a war.”

Not that I was scared of losing but a lot of things are at stake. Just as I'm an Alpha king with over 10 packs under me, Rowan is also an Alpha king and he's Gwen’s cousin.

Besides, I love Gwen so much. I started dating her when she was seventeen. That's like five years ago.

“Xavier will_”

I looked at Rick and the words he was about to say flew out of the window.

“Get her ready. If I don't find Gwen, a lot of people will suffer!” I said firmly.

Rick releases a sigh and steps closer. He knew better than to prolong the matter. “Do you have another place in mind?” He inquired and gazed at the map on the table.

I stare down at the map again and regard the marked points on it. I've toiled and searched the places but I'm ready to do that again.

I must find my mate at all costs.

The door creaks open again and Grey walks in. He's my Gamma.

“Boss, we just arrived. There was no trace of the luna. We couldn't even scent her.”

Something is wrong somewhere. Gwen wouldn't have disappeared into the thin air without a trace.

Even with the fact that I'm accusing Anthony and his pack, I should still be able to find her.

Just where could he have hidden her?

“But we found Anthony's little hideout.”

I look at him immediately. “Where?” Excitement rips through me.

“Magic town. It's Anthony’s town. If he's really hiding the Luna, she should be there.”

“Magic town? That's Anthony's wife's hometown,” Rick says suddenly and looks at me. “It's full of witches. Though, a lot of them were haunted and annihilated by your father,” he explained.

Nice. It looks like Anthony has a long-time issue with my descendants.

“That's the only place we could discover now. Come to think of it, the witches were annihilated for practicing black magic. They could have hidden the Luna as revenge and even found a way of cleansing her scent,” Grey explains.

“No, not correct, Grey,” Rick says suddenly. “Everyone was killed except Anthony's wife,” he defends.

“Well,” Grey shrugs briefly. “Another one must have escaped like Anthony's wife and swore to take revenge.”

Rick shakes his head briefly. “You don't understand. Anthony's wife was spared because of two things. She had no power and she was already married to Anthony,” Rick clears the air.

I clear my throat meaningfully to stop the unnecessary argument that has surfaced. I release a forceful sigh. The current issue was telling on me already. I've been looking for my Luna for 5 days now.

I've never been so worried in my entire life.

“It doesn't matter. I'm not leaving any stone unturned.” I  look at Grey. “Get the men ready, we are moving immediately!”

Grey bows slightly and steps out of the room.

I could feel Rick’s eyes on me as I stared at the map again.

If anything happens to Gwen, it will cause a war between the two Alpha Kings. A lot will be lost. Aside from that, Gwen's parents would be devastated.

Damn! I can't bear to see them hurt. Gwen was their only child. Besides, it's my duty to protect my Luna.

“I know this is out of it but can you just think of it like this?” Rick starts suddenly. “What if Anthony is innocent? What if we aren't seeing the truth?”

I look up at him and flash him a glare. “Don't tell me you are siding with Anthony because his daughter is my mate?”

Rick swallows hard as if I just hit the nail on the head.

“I don't want to hear anything concerning it anymore. Get prepared, we are leaving soon,” I ordered.

He hesitates briefly, bows, and eventually walks out of the room.