Chapter 16: Triggered

Autumn

What!

My breath hitched at the revelation.

“What gut does Anthony have to attack your Luna?”

“He has to be taught a lesson.”

I close my eyes against the emotions building up inside me. I felt angry and sad at the same time.

“Really? Is that what happened?”

My eyes flew open at the question directed at me. I looked up at no one in particular. Some of the Alphas were talking to each other. So, attention wasn't really focused on me which was a nice thing because it feels like I'm going to break down at this moment.

I managed to free myself from the Alpha but I didn't move, I couldn't move. My head was heavy and my eyes stung.

“Sure, my Luna is quite startled,” Xavier said suddenly, and he was unbelievably standing so close again, his scent taking all over my sanity. “As you should know, she was pregnant. There was no way she would have shifted and taken them down.”

What? Gwen was pregnant?

“If I hadn't shown up, something bad might have happened. So, you can direct all the questions to me,” he finished and he gently led me to the table.

He pulled out the chair for me and went to sit too.

“You mean something bad might have happened or it did happen?” Philip taunts.

Philip’s behaviour was worth thinking about.

“Oh,” Xavier smiles softly. “Something like what? Or were you expecting something bad to happen?” he held his gaze and waited. “Actually, a lot of rumours are circulating my pack concerning my Luna,” he mutters, taking a cup of whatever was inside and drowning it.

“And with what I just experienced, I'm made to think there's someone in this gathering spreading false news. And if I know so much about who the person is, he will regret it throughout his life,” he said between clenched teeth.

Some of the Alphas cleared their throats while some adjusted in their seats.

“Anyways, I will do my best to stop the rumour circulating since the Luna's parents are coming tomorrow. We wouldn't want them to think otherwise,” Augustine offers.

I could not say anything now as I was lost in my thoughts. Now that Xavier has publicly talked about my parents. Doesn't that mean they are in trouble?

I felt a tap on my lap and I jerked out of my thoughts. I looked up again and met Cindy's gaze for a moment.

I guess she was asking me questions again.

“Yes?”

“I mean does Rowan know about this already?”

I shake my head briefly. “No.”

Cindy seems to release a sigh of relief. “That's good then because he's really going to kill them if he gets to find out.”

“Yes! So, what have you decided to do to them? They should be punished for attempting such a crazy thing,” one of the Alpha from the right side said suddenly.

I don't seem to be able to remember his name. Elixir did tell me I should focus more on the Alphas from the left. That's why I remember them clearly.

I felt Xavier's gaze on me for a moment. “I will think of something.”

“Anyways, I heard Anthony has a daughter,” Augustine said suddenly and my heart skipped a beat.

“Yes,” Philip chimes in. “No one from the Moon-like pack should be spared.”

My fist formed under the table as I tried to fight the series of emotions that was starting to build inside me again. I squeezed my fist so hard that my knuckles nearly turned white.

“Well, she escaped,” Xavier lied. “Her father let her escape.”

“Should you not find her? Her position in this pack should be the lowest rank,” Marcus said for the first time.

“Yes! I heard she's an omega,” Philip added, with a lopsided grin. “You know what Omegas are good for? They are for strips and fuck,” he muttered and laughter ripped from different angles.

I tried very hard, to stop myself from bursting out. Oh well, I'm not an omega. They will be shocked at who I really am.

No! I'm an omega! If not, I wouldn't be sitting here and hearing this rubbish they are splitting about me.

“I will find her for you, Alpha,” Philip offers. “On the condition that you let me have her as my toy.”

“What kind of toy? I thought you just brought a lot of them at the last bidding house,” Marcus voices out, with a teasing voice.

“Well,” Philip grins. “It's never too much. Besides, I heard that Anthony's daughter is a beauty to hold. That's why he has always hidden her.”

“So, you would like to make her your sex toy?” Xavier asks, with an expressionless face.

I look away. I can't believe they are deciding my fate while I'm here.

Philip chuckles, feeling happy about himself for the decision. I had to hold the urge to slap the smirk off his face.

“Is that a deal, Alpha?”

A sudden bang on the table made my heart skip a beat. I look at Xavier quickly, wondering why he did that.

A flash of annoyance flickered across his face and his fist was formed on the table.

“Are you going to repeat that?”

Philip hesitates briefly, wondering. “Did something happen?”

Xavier didn't answer. Instead, he stood up. “This meeting is over.”

“We will be here tomorrow, when the Luna's parents are around,” One of the Alpha from the right assures.

“Yes, we will,” another chimes in.

Xavier regards them for a moment and nods slightly.

He was suddenly beside me, helping me up. “And one last thing_” he didn't let go of me as he looked at Philip again. “Don't look for Anthony's daughter. I will find her.”

And with that, he was leading me out of the meeting room. I would be lying if I said I understood what just happened. It felt like he was protecting me.

Well, protecting me in this case was protecting Gwen. So, it's normal.

Even when we were outside the door, he didn't let go of me. However, he hesitated and seemed to be thinking of something.

“Alpha,” Rick calls suddenly and he jerks out from wherever he has gone.

He looks up at him. “Prepare two horses for us, we are going riding.”

What? Riding? Again?