Chapter 15: A shocker

Autumn

A gasp escaped my throat as Xavier pulled back and smiled like nothing happened like he didn't just threaten me.

Does he think I'm the goddess reincarnation? How does he expect me to do it? I am not even done with the training and he wants me to act impeccably in front of the Alphas.

Isn't this like signing my death warrant?

“Let's go,” he mutters, suddenly pulling me out of my thoughts.

I release a sigh and step out of the room with him.

We walk through the hallway, with the maids walking right behind us.

“Do you remember that your parents are coming tomorrow?” Xavier started, probably trying to lessen the situation around us. The air feels so thick around us anyway.

But it didn't help. Instead, it make me feel even more nervous. If Gwen's parents are coming tomorrow, doesn't that mean I have to perfect my role today?

Also, If I don't know better, I would say the Alphas merely want to say hi but there’s more to it.

I was eventually able to get some words out of Elixir the other time. The Alphas are here because obviously, they are also doubting me.

That aside, a lot of rumours are currently trending in the pack.

So, I know the importance of this meeting going well and why Xavier would threaten me. I just don't deserve it.

“Yes, I still remember,” I responded quickly. “I miss them anyways.”

Xavier made a crack of laughter and I was forced to look up at him. This was my first time hearing him laugh.

Laughing and smiling really fit him.

His right arm suddenly went around my body and pulled me closer to him playfully. “Are you trying to say you can't wait to be with them? Do you want to leave me?”

I'm amazed by his playfulness. Even though he was merely acting, I can't help but think this was how he has always been with Gwen, whereas he acts like a demon god with others and me precisely.

“Tell me,” he whined, stopping me in my tracks suddenly.

I was forced to look at him, at the slightly raised brows, and the way he contoured his mouth as he teased me harder.

“You will miss me so much if you leave.”

I regard him for a moment, and thoughts twirl in me in some sort of crazy confusion. If he wasn't an Alpha king, I would lean on my toes right now and kiss him.

And I did!

Fuck! I must be going insane!

When I look at the maids, they seem to be blushing and whispering words amidst them. This will definitely create nice gossip.

‘Gwen kissed Xavier on the way to meet the Alphas’

When I looked up at Xavier again, I realised with happiness that his expression hadn't changed. He was still smiling. This means I'm not in trouble after all.

But I should remind myself not to do such a thing again.

“I will miss you so much,” I mutter and look away quickly.

My heart skips a beat and starts hammering wildly in my chest.

We take a turn in the hallway suddenly and my heart almost stops beating. I don't know how I'm supposed to do this and the mere thought of it is breaking me.