Chapter 6: What duty?

I could see them, the slashing, the massacre.

“No! I'm not running!” I say defiantly. “There's no way I'm running, and leaving my people behind.”

My mother cries. “You have to!”

“Run! Run, Autumn! Run!” My father yells.

My breath hitched and my eyes went open suddenly.

I was back in that same room, the Luna's room. Damn, Xavier's territory.

Beads of perspiration trickled down my face even though I had fallen asleep on the cold tiles.

I groan unconsciously as I sit up. My back still hurts and I figure that I haven't even healed at all.

It doesn't even matter. It was only the tip of the iceberg. I need to find my way out of here as soon as possible.

The door opens suddenly and my heart skips a beat at the thought that it could be Tito.

However, it is Elixir.

“Mistress!” She calls softly and I can vividly see the happiness on her face. “Your parents were captured, and not killed as well as some of your packs,” she revealed.

I feel a sense of relief descends on me. This is the moon goddess' way of telling me I still have a chance.

I look at her quickly. “Can I meet with them for a few minutes? I don't mind. Two minutes is enough for me.”

Elixir pouts her lip briefly and suddenly bursts out. “Yes. The Alpha is out with the beta, the gamma, and several of his men. So, it was easy for me to bribe the soldiers at the dungeon,” she explains.

I smile, the pain in my back already forgotten.

I have no idea what has happened and I need to find out. If I had no idea, I wouldn't know how to solve this mess.

“Come, I will take you there,” Elixir offers.

I managed to get up with her help. I smile at her. “It's ok, I'm fine.”

She looks at me with worries written all over her face. “This will all be over if the Alpha finds the Luna. Who knows, he might bring her home today.”

I prayed silently to the moon goddess because that was the fastest solution. Though, I wonder what would happen to me next.

Would I be rejected and killed?

I know I shouldn't be worried about such a thing but I just couldn't help it.

My whole life is at stake at both options.

“Yes, let's go,” I mutter.

Elixir nods once and walks out of the room.

I follow her quickly.

We walk along the hallway for a while before we take a turn to our left. We walked further in and eventually had to walk out of the building.

We only stop in front of a cave.

“We are here,” Elixir announced but didn't wait. She walks inside and I follow.

I feel the chilly air around me suddenly. I can't believe this is where Xavier kept my parents.

Elixir stops in front of a cell. “Your parents,” she mutters and gestures ahead of her. “You can speak to them while I watch out for you,” she suggested and quickly walked out before I could say anything.

Shock keeps me motionless and speechless for what seems like an eternity as I watch father and mother in the cell. The fact that I get to sleep in a room but my parents will be here breaks my heart.