Chapter 14: Fueled

Xavier

I walk out of the room, with full rage.

I could have hurt Autumn if I had stayed longer in that room. The whole space can't even contain us. The hatred I feel for her just seems to multiply every second.

Rick moves closer. “Alpha,” he mutters and looks up at me. “The Alphas have all arrived,” he announces.

What are they even looking for? They seem to be expecting me to tell them the truth about Gwen but I won't.

Not when Rowan has an ally amidst them. The fact that Gwen's parents suddenly want to visit is alarming and suspicious.

If it wasn't for the fact that Gwen's parents were visiting, I would have handled this situation the perfect way.

But come to think of it, who will benefit the most if something really happens to Gwen?

What will Anthony benefit from it? He owns a little pack and he wouldn't go against me like that unless he has a power he depends on.

And what could that be? Even at that, Anthony shouldn't be sitting in my prison powerless. Something is amiss.

“I overheard some maids discussing about the Luna,” he whispers.

I look at him quickly, with raised brows. Then I walk away. I didn't want any of the maids to hear us which was why I even sent them out the other time before I spoke to Autumn.

Rick understood my language instantly and followed me.

I stop in an empty hallway and turn to Rick. “What is it all about?”

Rick didn't reply immediately. Instead, he brought out a note and stretched it out to me.

I regard it for a moment before I take it. I tear the cover and peruse it.

Hot anger surges through me at the content.

“This is what people are saying?”

Rick nods once. “I think that's why all the Alphas want to see you,” he suggested.

I clench my teeth in anger as I think about it. If the Alphas already suspected Autumn. How would she convince Gwen's parents?

“What are you going to do now?” Rick asks suddenly, jerking me out of my thoughts.

“I've told Autumn we are meeting the Alphas.”

Worries mirror Rick’s face. “Are you sure she can do that? She isn't even done with her training. If any of the Alpha suspects her, it's the end for us. We won't be able to stop the war.”

I look away as I think about it. This has to work well, it's the only way. I need to avoid this war as much as I can.

“I know but she just has to try. I will be beside her anyway. I will help in any way that I can.”

“Are you sure that will suffice?” Rick asks again, concerned.

It won't!

“I will have to bring in Anthony and his pack. If the alphas already suspect something. Then, we need to cook up a story for them. Believable one.”

Rick gathers his brows amazingly. “What story?”

“Get some maids closer to the room intentionally so that they will hear everything we say. They will help in replacing the initial news,” I finish and walk away.

I feel Rick's gaze on me, at the fact that I didn't tell him what the story would be about but I know he trusts me.

I hesitate briefly, in front of my room. I just have to see her like Gwen and everything will go well. Even though that looks very difficult to do.

Fuck! Or I will kill her at this moment!

I'm as frustrated as anything in the world right now. Someone is messing with my head and the moon goddess will so much pity the person when I eventually seek him out. I will not spare anyone in his household.

I release a sigh and step inside eventually.

That same sweet scent attacks me, as it has always, begging for me to have a taste.

Autumn was standing in the middle of the room, fully dressed and looking like my Gwen. She looks so much like Gwen, except for the hair anyway.

But that wouldn't be a problem. Gwen was used to dying and tinting her hair now and then.

But I wouldn't lie, this colour of hair fits Autumn so perfectly. It would have looked nicer on Gwen.

The maids step aside and I walk closer to Autumn.

I could sense her fear, feel it as I took her physique in. She was so much like Gwen, yet so much different.

If I don't know better, I would say they are twins which is not even possible. Short, with a nice figure and brown eyes that felt like it was always reading through my soul.

But there was still something about her smile, something I hadn't figured out. Like, it felt different, even though it was still the same as Gwen.

Autumn looks up for a moment, her brown eyes widening with shock before she bows again.

“You are beautiful,” I muse.

Autumn looks up at me again, as if looking for answers.

Damn! Doesn't she know it's all drama and she was supposed to play her part? The maids are watching.

“Really?” She says on cue, and a smile replaces that rigid mouth of hers.

She spoke like Gwen.

I nod once, with a smile. It wasn't so hard now, just seeing her as Gwen was enough to push me through.

“Come, the Alphas want to see you,” I say with a smile and stretch out to her.

She hesitated briefly, making me wait, which was something I hated. I mentally calmed myself down. Nothing good will come out of being harsh with her now.

She takes it finally and I feel her shiver.

I regard her for a moment, at her hesitancy before I pull her closer to me. She helplessly ends up in my embrace.

I hug her, and my arms slowly move alongside her body.

It felt good even though I knew it wasn't my Gwen.

“If you don't do well, your whole existence will perish tonight,” I whisper into her ears.

Thanks for reading!