22 | Say Good Things

As far as goodbyes with Harry go, leaving Mexico City was one of the worst experiences I've had so far

As far as goodbyes with Harry go, leaving Mexico City was one of the worst experiences I've had so far. Goodbyes are always hard on everyone, not just the two of us. But Eliza's unexpected breakdown was enough to throw us all off from our states of composure. We had to remember that this was the first time she and Niall were experiencing a proper goodbye together with the uncertainty of when they will see each other next. We still aren't aware of where their relationship stands. We know that they will tell us when they are ready.

Eliza's inner strength never fails to amaze me. She managed to compose herself by the time we arrived at the airport, and the only giveaway she had previously been crying was the redness around her eyes. Having to leave Niall behind must have brought her back to the times her brothers and father left her and her mother to move to Manchester. Since her parents divorced in our second year of secondary school, Eliza changed her perspective on life. She grew up with thick skin and has kept her walls high to protect herself. Since Niall has entered her life, he has slowly but surely been knocking down her walls, and I can see the positive change in her because of it.

When Eleanor, Eliza and I arrived back at Harry's home in Hampstead, we loaded our luggage into our cars and hugged each other goodbye. Eleanor had to make her way back to Manchester, so she left pretty much straight away. But Eliza and I made our way inside the house for a much-needed cup of tea before the drive back home. I already felt a little better being in a space that was Harry's. I placed mine and Eliza's teas down on the granite before taking my seat. We each held onto our mugs in comfortable silence for a few moments in quiet reflection.

As I was blowing across the boiling liquid in my mug, Eliza finally spoke for the first time in hours. "I'm sorry."

Her unexpected apology baffled me. Out of all the things I thought she would have said, an apology was not one of them. My eyebrows instantly set into a frown as I looked up at her incredulously, giving her my full attention.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that."

I didn't need her to expand on her comment to know what she was referring to. The state she was in when we said goodbye to the boys, and the fact that she was almost hysterical and crying. I could tell by her body language that she was embarrassed by the way she handled it when she does not need to be at all.