𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭

Ishan ran as fast as he could through the long veranda, with a wide grin and rapid heartbeat.

It was his chance.

With a thud he quickly  closed the door, pushing the lock up.

Ishan's cheeks flushed as he approached the wooden cupboard, which rested right next to the mirror.

Halting steps , curious eyes and shaky hand which dipped into the pocket of his light red kurta, taking out a bunch of keys.

Upon reaching the cupboard, his mind shuffled through the random memories, trying to pick a certain one.

Of course, among those 15 or more keys, he can't try out each one! It's gonna take decades.

Oh!

"The red ribbon, the red ribbon" Ishan muttered under his breath.

"There!" Ishan's eyes sparkled.

After shuffling through random sarees and blouses, he  could finally touch a rough surface, by reaching further, he could tell it's the metal box.

Ishan's gaze now fell upon his sister's treasure trove, a delicate jewellery box adorned with intricate carvings.

The one thing that the 17 years old boy always wanted to steal for himself, at least once.

Just 3 year ago, when his elder sister got married to the wealthy family of Saha's, one of the famous merchants of Kolkata, Ishan's eyes were wide when he entered huge house. Big house with huge pillars here and there, white walls with hints of dark green which adorned the doors and the grills. Big yard, multiple pickle jars, fancy English show pieces,
his favourite piece of fish, rich smell of attar... Nothing fancied Ishan more than that one thing.

"Eije bouma, tomar goinar baksho"

("Dear daughter in law, it's your jewellery box")

Ishan's ears perked up when a women, almost in her thirties handed the new bride a metal box, with detailed curving all around.

Ishan's sister noded timidly, fixing her ghunghat frequently.

The renowned rich family of Saha's, never kept one of their women without wrapping them with golds.

As it is, whenever Ishan's sister would open the box to wear the different types of accessories on, he would stay by her side. He would carefully watch how his sister got ready, all jewelled up with the red sindoor on, that  complemented her neatly drapped saree, justifying the definition of new bride or "notun bou".

Women are lucky.
Ishan would think.

It's not like that he was  fascinated towards gold or jewelleries because they were expensive. In fact, he was from a rich family himself, he was never interested towards wealth.

He just liked how beautiful, elegent and pretty they looked. The different types of jewelleries, various designs attracted Ishan way too much.

The uncontrollable desire to put those accessories on didn't disappear even when he came back from Kolkata,  which ended up with him carrying the hopes back everytime he visited his Didi's house.

It's not like he didn't have jewelleries at home, but once he got caught wearing all those. Since then, his father strictly prohibited him from touching any of the jewellery box.

So, as soon as Ishan saw his sister leaving the house to go to a mandir with her mother-in-law, he couldn't let the chance go.

He sneakily stole the key bunch from his sister's hem of saree.