𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 (3)

4 months later

Ishan picked up one stone and threw it to to the pond.

He didn't exactly know why he begged his father to bring him in Kolkata, again.

He shouldn't be there, to get hurt again.

But maybe Ishan still has the tiny bit of hope burried deep into his heart.
He shied , bringing his knees to his chin.

What a fool are you, Ishan?!
He let out a bitter chuckle.

Shubman is going get married, the day after.
To some beautiful, young girl. She has long thick hair, good at household work, good at making pickles and narkel naru ( a sweet made of coconuts) . What else do you need in a Bengali home?

Shubman's grandmother was sick. And his father's aunt, pisithamma also wished to see the youngest son's wife in her this lifetime.

Medical colleges were closed in Kolkata, which means shubman would move to England soon. That would take 3 more years for him to come back and marry, so Shubman's father decided they would get him married before he moves out.

"Dadubhai?"
("Grandson?")
Ishan turned around, to see an old lady, slowly trying to walk  up to him with a stick.

"Thamma? Wait!" ("Grandma? Wait!") Ishan ran to the lady, helping to sit down on the stares of ghat.

"Eka keno? Tomar sokha kothai?"
("Why are you alone? Where is your companion?")
Kamala devi, Shubman's grandmother said, with a gentle smile.

Ishan smiled back, not instantly sure of what to answer.

Ishan came to Kolkata the day before, ever since then he couldn't find Shubman, anywhere.
Or maybe Shubman wasn't letting Ishan find him.

"Jani na, thamma" Ishan shrugged.
("I don't know grandma.")

"Boddo bhalobasish na?" Kamala devi smiled again.
("You love them too much, right?")

Ishan widened his eyes, he blinked for a second, trying figure out  if he heard that right.

Kamala devi detangled the knot of her aanchal, taking the out the bunch of keys.

Despite of being old, Shubman's grandma learnt English when she was young, even her teacher was an English women. The well educated lady always adored Ishan, arranging all his favourite things for him always.

"Then go, get me my favourite companion " She reached out to grab the boy's hand, placing the keys on it.

Ishan guessed it's her usual silver box of betel leaves, which, being expensive, was always kept carefully in her cupboard.

He nodded his head before getting up.

"And listen, I said I want to see the marriage, I never mentioned if I want a naatbou (granddaughter-in-law) or naatjamai (grandson-in-law)"

Kamala devi passed a knowing smile.

Ishan never ran this fast in his life probably, he rushed into Kamala Devi's room.
After finding the right key, he quickly opened the the old wooden cupboard.

"Opor taake"
("At the top shelf")

Ishan remember, he looked up there.

No silver box of betel leaves.

But wait.

Is it what Ishan thinking?

A sudden breeze hit through the window, making a piece of paper flow down from the same shelf.